UFC President Says Chris Weidman-Anderson Silva Rematch Coming

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by SRW, Jul 8, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A rematch between newly crowned UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman and Anderson Silva will be "the biggest fight in UFC history," according to UFC president Dana White, but it's unlikely to take place in 2013.

White told the Los Angeles Times on Monday he was "very tempted" to book the rematch to headline UFC 168 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas, but later retracted the statement, saying it would occur on a date to be determined.

A previously announced female bantamweight title fight between Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate will remain the UFC 168 main event.

Another potential date mentioned for the middleweight rematch was Super Bowl weekend next year, when the UFC is planning to host a card in Newark, N.J.

White, though, expressed some concern on hosting an event of this magnitude on that weekend.

"I'm thinking, why have a card that conflicts with the Super Bowl on Fox?" said White. "We want our own date for this massive fight with no conflicts."

Source: ESPN.com

2. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Having the fight scheduled the day before the Super Bowl would be awesome. Would give us something to get away from the 2 weeks of pre-game. They should schedule it the week before though. Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl anyways

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Well Silva actually fight though?

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

If not, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

at this point, i am fine if silva just goes away. i was out in vegas this weekend. didn't go to the fight but saw plenty of people wearing weidman gear around town.

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

If Silva won't rematch Weidman then he's only good for one last fight in the UFC and that's to either lose weight and lose to GSP or gain weight and really lose to Jon Jones.

7. CaptainStubing

in his post-game interview, i'm not sure what Silva meant when he said he will "never fight for a belt again". Rogan then asked him if he was retiring and Silva said, "no, i'm not retiring. i just won't fight for a belt again."

i guess he's just going to fight exhibitions from now on?

8. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Dana White said both super fights are dead now.

9. CaptainStubing

silva clearly said in his post-fight interview that he will 'never fight for a belt again' so i'm not sure where all the rumors were coming from. if we take him at his word, he's done participating in championship bouts.

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I don't think GSP or Jon Jones fights would have been for titles anyway, just to see who is better. But since he lost this last fight, Dana White said neither of these fights will happen now.

11. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors