Update: Post Icons Back Up

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, May 20, 2008.

1. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

:icon_rolleyes:

Stop and take the time to realize that you are the only one who seems to have a problem with this. It has been explained that there are copyright infringement issues. Therefore Copyright laws would be the ones you are violating when the site supplies an icon to put next to a post. Why isn't there an issue when it comes to your avatar? It's tough to say since we didn't make the law, but if you use common sense, maybe it has something to do with the fact that placing a copyrighted image next to a post to promote the site could be interpreted as an individual/site trying to profit from the work of others whereas a sig/avatar is just a sig/avatar? The fact that you believe SRW woudl go through the trouble of making all these icons and then take them down for the sole reason of lying to everyone, really makes me question your intelligence.

Really, it's not peculiar at all and no mods here are "power-tripping".

2. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Where did I say they were my team icons?

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

well you seem to really be upset about them being taken down, you were the only one asking for the college ones to be put up.

4. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Only you're not promoting the site. How is it promoting the site, by putting a team logo next to an article title? Promoting the site would be putting an NFL logo next to something actually PROMOTING Gridironfans via some other medium. In a newspaper, tv ad, etc. Merely tagging a thread with a Detroit Lions logo is not promoting anything.

And simply saying a team logo is an "avatar" and not a "post icon" isn't going to make a lawyer say oh, well...since you put it that way" According to that link Sweets posted, you're violating the law. That picture of Tom Brady next to the AFC Forum is violating the copywrite law. Using an NFL player likeness without permission.

It's a nice feature to have. I was questioning why this only ever happen to this site and now that I've seen the letter, I'm questioning the law. It makes no sense because you're not shilling the site in Sporting News with an NFL shield next to it. I'm not seeing ads for GIF during the 6:00 News with team logos and player photos flashing. We're not being charged to register and post here.

I think you need clarification of the letter because if it were as simple as post icons, then every site on the web would be getting slammed with this, not just one.

5. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

who the hell cares!!! you can't do it anymore.. end of story!

6. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Because you're associating an official logo of the team with your news whereas an avatar/sig is just art put there to make things look better? I'm not going to pretend to know what these people think. The point is that there are legal problems involved with these things and they can't be used. You're debating facts and if you keep trying to shoot down every fact we give you as a conspiracy, then this discussion is going to go nowhere.

7. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Yeah, if "burnout2oo7" writes an article about the Browns and puts a Browns logo next to it to promote it, yes. But posting a Browns logo next to a story about the Browns that you link to ESPN, is not. See the difference? I haven't debated any facts since very few have been presented. I've debated theories of facts, of which plenty have been given.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well FSU if you want to send us the thousands of dollars we will need to fight the NFL to be able to keep the post icons up feel free. No amount of talking is going to change the fact that for now they are gone, if it makes sense or not I'm not fighting the NFL and yes hundreds in fact thousands of sites use them but it's not our problem, we're only responsible for GIF.

9. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Here are the facts....the only LEGAL way to use NFL logos is to pay a licensing fee. Any site that is not paying those fees? Are using those logos illegally. Now....does the NFL catch each and every site? No....but we were contacted.

10. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Take him up on it. Can't do any harm. All this bullcrap sounds like a power trip by some butthole who somehow got wind of GIF. Has Darren been spotted anywhere around lately?:dontknow:

11. SRW

When it comes down to it though....we might have to take down icons and logos but the site remains here. We might have to make some changes with how we post our news as well but in the end we will still be here.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

If FSU wants to consult a lawyer, he's more then able to do it.

13. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

In reality the post icons do look nice but it's not gonna keep fans away from the site if we don't have them. If it does then we damn sure don't need them around anyway.

We were on the same wavelength SRW when I posted.

14. SRW

:yeahthat:

15. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

wow, thats really crapty

16. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

What a shame.

17. hermhater

hermhater Guest

:wtf:

In what way?

18. ParanoidMike

ParanoidMike Doctor of Slackerism

um.... they pay the bills to keep this site going... so, i guess in some crazy way, they DO keep the site running

please tell me you're not that freaking stupid. you're acting lke GIF is Amazon.com, for chrissakes. so with your INGENIOUS and BRILLIANT logic, they shouldn't have to pay crap and the site will be up at no charge. go ahead and see how long that lasts, Einstein. this ain't a stupid create-your-own-homepage on AOL

19. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

Exactly what I was thinking, it's hard to find posts now when I search for unread posts, because they all have the same icon. Sucks.

And again, I was thinking that it surely wouldn't be copyright if a few of us GFX artists helped out and made some especially for GIF? That'd shove it up those copyright moaners' arses.

20. hermhater

hermhater Guest

My bad!

:beersign:

What is the icon?

And do the GFX thing dude, you guys are talented!