Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by DawkinsINT, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

No parent should instill the ideals that athletes somehow should be viewed as role models. A role-model should be someone that you know in real life, not some athlete that's usually held in high esteem only because they play a sport that 90% of the country can only hope to play, and who happens to be worth millions upon millions of dollars. A kid wearing an athletes jersey shouldn't look at that athlete as anything but a celebrity, and view their personal family members and friends as role-models.

2. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

I agree that Vick's case is worse than several more common crimes; however, I was just referencing the generalizations used by many people when trying to categorize offenses. This isn't a league of thugs but rather a league of regular people from across the spectrum like the rest of society. Personally, I don't know specifically where I would put dogfighting on the scale of crimes/major offenses. I do think it's bad, but I don't see it anywhere near as bad as crimes against other persons.

3. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Sure it isn't a league of thugs, most of them doing just some stupid stuff and the media make it bigger than it is.

4. Vyse314

Vyse314 Slayer of beasts!

what sucks is that he'll be out of jail by the time he turns 30, will get a book deal and do all the rounds on the prime time news outlets. his life isn't going to suck after this whole thing blows over. look at o.j.

5. JordanTaber

JordanTaber Starter

2%? I don't know what Parcells was smoking, but I read that it was over 16% not that long ago.

6. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

2% is what Parcells said on last nights show. Tony Dungy also said it was ~2% when he was interviewed a few days ago. Those are the only numbers I have to go off of. Where did you hear the 16% number? I'm interested in seeing an actual study for this.

7. JordanTaber

JordanTaber Starter

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

It always depend on what had he done and how often he was arrested before

9. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

quoted for freaking truth :agreed:

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Totally agree....I certainly wish that the emphasis was on the positive things players do. Role models are needed in the world and something else sad just came to mind...I recall Michael Vick being a part of the after game prayers on the field....am I wrong? Not sure a Christian would be involved with Dog Fighting.....maybe I am wrong but I doubt it.

11. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Agreed.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I just think it's funny that the players do that after a game and a lot of the ones in that circle aren't doing Christian things, what a crock. Like with Michael Irvin, now he's this God fearing man, of course this was after his rendezvous with drugs and tramps, just laughable that AFTER this guys get caught is when they turn to God and stop pointing up to the heavens after a TD like you actually want people to believe that you are religious, fool!!!

13. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Kids will pick their own role model and in todays world at some places, sourrounding ppl are not always ppl to look up to. Plus kids like to be like footballplayers, musicans acteurs or whatever.

I think that athletes had to be role models too, but of course not the only ones for the youngsters.

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Wanting to be an athlete, rock musician or an actor is one thing, holding them up as role models is quite different.

True role models are those who possess the qualities that we would like to have and those who have affected us in a way that makes us want to be better people. To advocate for ourselves and our goals and take leadership on the issues that we believe in. We often don't recognize our true role models until we have noticed our own personal growth and progress. I believe a person has many role models in their lives. Each role model teaches a person about themselves . A role model to me is someone who not only treats me as an equal but is honest, trusting, and most of all open-minded especially in today’s society.

15. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Tom Brady is my role model.Star QB with 3 rings,rich,and bangen Supermodels.What kid wouldn,t want that to look forward to,much less us adults.

16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

As adults we knew this, but kids can't judge this right.

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Right and I would think as adults/parents it's your responsibility to help them judge.

18. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

parents need to raise their freaking kids

19. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Sweets...I do agree that parents shouldn't instill this into their kids and should be the major influence in their kids lives. It hope the average parent isn't sitting around telling their kid they need to live like Michale Vick and NFL players do.. but as a child I looked up to pro ball players as do kids today. I guees maybe the distinction should be made between a role model and someone to admire....don't know how to distinguish but to tell a 9 year old kid that his/her favorite football player is only a celebrity and not someone who should be looked up too ......ummm...not sure how exactly that would work....call me stupid but....there was a time when this was possible..

20. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Right dougerrrr