Vikings Rookie QB Christian Ponder Not Opposed To Sitting Behind Veteran

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Rookie quarterback Christian Ponder, the Minnesota Vikings' first-round draft pick, told KFAN-AM that he's gunning to become the team's starting quarterback this season, but he understands the thought process behind possibly bringing in a veteran. "Obviously, I think everyone in my position would love to start Week 1," Ponder told the radio station last week. "It's the competitor in me, and something I've always dreamed of was starting in the NFL, and I want to do it ASAP. But obviously there are some reasons behind bringing a guy in, and obviously there's some definite pros to it. If they still bring in a guy, it's going to be someone who knows what he's doing. It will give me a lot to learn from and help me out. "But at the same time, I want to definitely start Week 1. So, we'll see what happens, and whatever happens, I'll be completely fine with it. I think the coaches are going to make the best decision for me personally." Ponder, a former Florida State star, said his offseason training at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., has helped him learn NFL verbiage and play-calling in a minicamp-style setting. "There's probably 15 to 20 guys here at IMG and some guys that are in college, some guys are in the NFL and they are coming out and catching routes," Ponder said. "We had some guys that came in that were from the Vikings a couple of weeks ago and we did the same thing when they were here. (Vikings wideout) Manny Arceneaux is down here full time. ... (Vikings tight end Visanthe) Shiancoe was just down here for a couple of days this week ... I got to work with him a bit as well." Shiancoe joined Ponder and Vikings quarterback Joe Webb, who was forced into starting as a rookie late last season because of injuries to Minnesota's other signal-callers. Ponder and Webb likely would compete for the starting job if the Vikings don't add a veteran quarterback. "We really went over the playbook," Shiancoe told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora last week. "Visanthe is a freak," Ponder said of Shiancoe's athleticism. Ponder told the radio station that he has kept an eye on labor talks during the NFL lockout, and he can't wait to get going once things are settled. "I've definitely been following it," Ponder said. "It's just too hard to tell (when the lockout will end) because there's not enough details being released and everyone is being optimistic about it. Then you hear comments here and there that say not to be optimistic about it because we are a long way away, so it's too hard to tell. I want to be optimistic about it, and hopefully things are going to end soon. But at the same time, I don't want to get my hopes up and nothing happens. ... Hopefully it clears up in the next couple weeks. So we'll see."

Source: NFL.com

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I like Ponder. Kid has a good head on his shoulder. He's coming in "getting it" already...

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I agree completely ward its nice to see someone without the entitlement complex coming in to the NFL.

4. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

If you're a Vikings or Titans you have to feel good about having these type of guys as future leaders of your franchise.

5. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

I think you all know who I'd prefer to start...*whistles*

6. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

in my opinion this is not always a bad thing to do. To sit behind a veteran it gives you times to learn and watch the pro game