Wait on RG3 or drop him?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by brewers_rule1978, Sep 15, 2014.

1. brewers_rule1978

brewers_rule1978 2nd String Premium Member

Since I'm playing in a QB1, QB Flex position, 4 keeper league and effectively need to start 2 QB's weekly, should I drop RG3 and snatch Cousins, McCown, or Manuel from the wire or should I hang onto RG3 on my bench until he returns, rolling with Cam & Romo until then? Unless he gets put on IR Designated to Return or the PUP List, which I don't think he's going to judging by reports, I can't stick him in my 2nd Reserve spot alongside Prater so I either roll with the other guys or drop him for a backup streaming QB, don't I?

2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Grab Cousins. Griffin is going to be out for awhile. And there is talk that there is a possibility RG3 might be benched if Cousins looks good while starting.

PUP is at the start of the season. They've used their DTR spot on Cofield.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I have cousins on few teams picked with my last pic

4. brewers_rule1978

So I just completed a trade of Foster/Crabtree for Monte Ball/Tannehill. Does that change me hanging onto RG3 or should I still drop him and grab Cousins/McCown off waivers. I'm #5 in waivers and I know at least one of the guys ahead of me has Cousins on his claim request. I kinda think Tannehill gives me a buffer to wait on RG3 to return strong, doesn't he?

5. Greg Brosh

Considering you won't get Cousins, is there another position you can pick up? RG3 is droppable now. Plus you have 4 quarterbacks. That's too many.

6. brewers_rule1978

Cousins, Wayne, Bradshaw, McCown, Torrey Smith (who I dropped previously for Garcon), Delanie Walker, and Antonio Gates are probably the best wire options in this league. I know at least 2 of the teams ahead of me need QB's and another one HAS put a claim in for Gates ahead of me.

Reason I'm hoarding QB's is because the 5pts/TD for them makes them highly valuable for that flex spot (essentially making it a 2 QB league) and, like I said, there are several teams already learning that who will need them even if I don't so if nothing else, they're great trade bait. Last year in this league I got burned when A-Rod went down due to not having a decent #3 or #4 QB. Reason I thought hanging onto RG3 could be a good idea is because a) holding him's not really going to hurt my roster space considering my depth and b) unless Cousins blows the doors off, he could be great down the stretch after returning to get the job back with that schedule.

Am I wrong that I should be starting a QB each week in that QB/RB/WR/TE spot?

7. Greg Brosh

No you aren't wrong, I just think 4 quarterbacks is overkill. You're really banking on RG3

A. Coming back and being 100% healthy.
    B. Coming back and turning around a season that has seen him play terribly all of August, 1 full game and some in the 2nd. Griffin just doesn't fit this offense like Cousins does. If Cousins has a really good stretch, or even a decent one, RG3 could be seeing his future on the trade block. I mean that to. There are rumors abound that Gruden preferred Cousins in the offense even before the start of the season.

I think you're fine with Romo, Newton and Tannehill. I would prefer dropping Griffin and grabbing another receiver since it looks like you only have 3.

If you drop RG3 for Wayne, then you still have 3 QBs to work with and another receiver to add for depth, bye week help and flex.

You're sitting on a player who stands to miss not only 8 weeks, but the rest of the season.