Warren Moon Criticizes The Eagles' Treatment Of Donovan McNabb

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Hall of Famer Warren Moon can empathize with Donovan McNabb's stint as an on-the-block, 30-something quarterback. Moon was traded by the Houston Oilers to the Minnesota Vikings in 1994 as the club sought to move on to younger, cheaper Cody Carlson, though Moon had taken the Oilers to six straight playoff appearances and was coming off a 12-4 season, but Moon, now a Seattle Seahawks radio analyst, said that in his case, Oilers management let him know their plans, asked about and accommodated his trade preference. The situation has been different with McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowler for the Philadelphia Eagles, coach Andy Reid announced at last week's owners meetings the team was "entertaining offers" for McNabb along with Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick. "It's mind-boggling they would put Donovan in this position," Moon said. "He's hearing about things second hand, which I don't think shows him a lot of respect. It really surprises me because the Philadelphia Eagles have already made very strategic and very smart personnel moves that has gotten them in position to win championships. This one really baffles me, especially because of how important that position is. I don't know why you would get rid of a quarterback who is in the prime of his career in Donovan and go with an unknown in a young quarterback like a Kevin Kolb or a Michael Vick. If they're going to make a deal with the Raiders, go ahead and make the deal. What are they waiting on? It seems the longer they wait, the worse deal they're going to get closer to the draft."

Source: USA Today

2. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

I wouldn't call McNabb in the prime of his career, nor would I call Kolb and Vick unknowns. But I do think the Eagles should stick with their QB's for one more year. Then they and Vick will part ways, they can make Kolb the starter if McNabb doesn't have a breakout year, and McNabb (if he's not in the final year of his contract) will get traded or stay on as a backup.

3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

rf52 - It is the final year of his contract... so that's key, but Eagles set it all up like this, it's not like they were caught off guard. They just overvalued their QB's (mainly Vick) and now there screwing the pooch with the way they are handling the McNabb trade. A shamefully fitting ending to an under-appreciated career in that city.

Moon's right.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

you dont guarantee the last two years of a contract instead of an extention and then hold the guy till the last year. that's hurt mcnabb's value. also his value took a hit they drafted a qb with a high pick and proclaimed him the future. then as an organization you set the bar impossibly high becasue of your assinine arrogance. this all sets you up to fail even before anything about his age, talent or whatever else can be brought up.

totally hecked this whole thing up and again, i can't wait to hear the goobered PR when they either take a 3rd rounder or less for mcnabb or worse off have to bring him back.