What Do You Think Of The Witherspoon Trade ?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by smeags, Oct 22, 2009.

?

rate the witherspoon trade

Poll closed Jan 20, 2010.
  1. love it

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. meh, may help some but not overly excited about it

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. hate it - we gave away the next jerry rice in gibson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. smeags

smeags militant geek

i think it's a good move assuming his back doesn't prove to be an issue. he's an instant upgrade over what the eagles have but being placed at MLB takes him away from his stronger position IMO and takes away from covering the opposing TE's on a consistent basis..

i am hoping gaither can come back so witherspoon can move outside and really help us. not sure but i think he has 1-2yrs left on his exsisting deal which should make the LB corp look real nice when bradley comes back.

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, i think in the long run, it's a great move for the eagles. i'm always a little skeptical of mid-season trades though. witherspoon may/may not be able to do a lot right away without knowing the schemes and not having chemistry with the players around him. typically players don't have a lot of impact right away but maybe he can adjust quickly.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

i agree, the moves helps some now but will benefit us more down the road.

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I don't like it... which as a Giants fan means I think it was a good/solid move.

I voted in the middle. If I was an Eagles fan I'd be somewhere between "love it" and "meh, may help some but not overly excited about it".

/non homer post of the day

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I definitely love it, especially with Gaither's injury.

6. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Yea, no doubt. With the Gaither news, it looks even better.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

well, we got some instant returns on this move to say the least. again though as i said in the news thread, with witherspoon playing the mike we still will not be able to cover a te.

99yrds 1td from the te position for the skins last night. luckily we were playing the skins.

8. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

that 99 yards includes at least 4 plays where they ran a TE screen with a quick throw off the snap and it took a lot more catches than normal to amass those 99 yards, not to mention a huge chunk of yardage and the TD came on the redskins last garbage time drive.

9. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Couldn't have asked for him to do more. Hopefully that was just a taste as he becomes more comfortable.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

lmao - dude, please stop. just because they were short passes doesn't mean they were all screens but i do remember 3 screens and they came while a LB was covering and the two big gains of 18yrds each came because the LB couldn't make a freaking tackle near the line a scrimage. a total of 42yrds came off of screens which is less than half of the total yards. not much but still less than half. also, who cares how many catches it took, the fact that there were more further points out our inability to cover the te so i am not sure what your point was on that.

oh and a huge chunk came on that last garbage drive ? 2 passes for 8 yards is a HUGE chunk ?

ok, if you say so.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

agreed, witherspoon is a player that was stuck on a crap team in the rams and now has a chance to play on a pretty damn good defense overall in a position we need the help in. how many more years does he have on his existing contract ? i hope beyond this year at least so we can see a lb corp of him, bradley and gocong. to me i think that group would nasty because i think witherspoon is the piece we have been missing.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, hopefully the next couple of months, witherspoon can be learning the defense and building chemistry with the guys on the field and be running at 100% in january for the playoffs. he could be a difference maker. we'll have to see how it progresses.

12. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

im going to make this short and sweet, cuz in all realisticness, i hate it... but if I was an Eagles fan, I would love it.