Winter Olympics 2014

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by ollysj, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

The Olympic games are about to start and a lot controversy is going on, about the venue. Terrorism, human rights and politics making the headlines, but foremost it's an sporting event to me.

So what do you expect from your athletes?

For myself, I think we can collect medals in the bob, luge and skeleton track. Biathlon should give us some and in downhill-sking can hope for some medals from Riesch and Neureuther. Maybe Victoria Rebensburg will step up at the games again

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Won't watch much of the Olympics except for the ice hockey.

On a side note, February is going to be a busy month for sports when you figure in the Winter Olympics, the Super Bowl, and National Signing Day.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I like the U.S. in Doubles Figure Skating, men’s 1000 meter Speedskating, men’s Super G, men’s Downhill and a slim chance in the Biathlon. They also have some returners from the ’10 games in the 2 and 4-man Bobsled that may do very well. And of course with LeBron James and Kevin Durant on the USA Basketball team I think I’ll ink that one in as well.

Looks like we'll be comparing notes on the biathlon and downhill. @ollysj.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Maybe if they move Basketball to the Winter Olympics :D

The chances for the USA in Biathlon are more than slim. Best male US athlete in the current WC is #23 and there isn't a female US athlete between the top 30.

5. markaz

Brainfart:bc:. I guess I'm so pumped to see those two on the court at the same time I just skipped a few months.:ROFLMAO:

I don't have the rankings in front of me, but if #23 is Tim Burke that's my guy. Kind of like betting the long-shot at the horse track. But with his second place finish at the World last year.....what the heck.

Aussie61 likes this.
  6. markaz

I used to be that way until I really started watching those adrenaline junkies in action. I think I enjoy the Winter Games more than the Summer Games simply because there far fewer events so you get to see more competitors.
    Check out YouTube and the Skeleton. I mean really...lay on a board that you can't steer at 85 mph. Used to enjoy the spills, but now I'm strictly into technique and it's amazing.

Aussie61 likes this.
  7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Olympic Hockey is pretty awesome.

Aussie61 likes this.
  8. markaz

Agreed. I really enjoyed it more when it was collegians only and no NHL players. And before someone pops off and wants to know what it was like watching the 1980 USA team beat the Russians and then the Fins for the gold...I had a woody for a week.

9. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I live in a country that gets freak all snow and I like the Winter games better! Bobsled,luge,ice hockey,downhill,slalom...I can't wait!! For me the Winter sports are more exciting,the athletes are more on the edge.Make a mistake going at 100 mph with 2 planks strapped to your feet..ouch!! or laying flat on a board at 80 mph in an ice tunnel..oops. Bring on the Winter Games.

ollysj and 86WARD like this.
  10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree...I like the Winter Games better.

Aussie61 likes this.
  11. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I like the winter games more too. Maybe it's just the fact, we pretty much suck at the summer games :D

markaz and Aussie61 like this.
  12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Shaun White refuses to start in the slopesyle tournament, because the track is too dangerous?

13. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

ill watch hockey and snowboarding

Aussie61 likes this.
  14. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I am literally boycotting the Olympics this year, they are going to murder all the stray dogs.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/05/world/europe/russia-sochi-stray-dogs/

I love the Olympics, especially winter, as a ski racer who raced 10 years ago it has a special place in my heart. But this year Russia has gone to far on many human rights topics, and ANIMAL rights now

15. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I guess nobody is really happy about this venue, except dictator Putin and his brownnosers-contries.

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

In Spanish, Putin is a word for "little f*g". I don't know if it's ironic, or that's the origin of his homophobia :D

LebaneseFF likes this.
  17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Sounds like they really freaked up
    Picking the location this time...lol

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

you think hugo chavez let him in on that little translation ?

19. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Think I'll watch some snowboarding and maybe some skiing and hockey.

20. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Money over morality....
    Same applies for the next 3 soccer WC at Brasil (2014), Russia (2018) and Qatar (2022)