WR Wes Welker, Patriots Closing In On Multi-Year Deal

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by Sweets, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Wes Welker and the Patriots are closing in on a multi-year contract that would allow Welker to finish his career in New England, Mike Giardi of CSN New England reports. An NFL source says that the two sides are hoping to have something finalized before the onset of free agency on March 12.

According to the source, the two sides have come to the understanding that they are far better with one another than without.

Unlike last year when Welker took what he called a "leap of faith" by accepting the team's franchise tender in the hopes that a long term deal would be worked out, this time the two sides are -- according to the source -- far more willing to compromise than at the same point last year.

Despite having more receptions than any receiver since 2007, Welker began last season behind Julian Edelman on the depth chart and did not begin seeing regular action until after tight end Aaron Hernandez went down in Week 2 with an ankle injury.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

WR openings getting slimmer and slimmer for Mike Wallace...

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Gotta say I'm surprised by this, I would've thought they'd be all over Wallace.

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I'm actually not as excited about this as i thought i would be.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

He needs an all playoff performance incentive based contract.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Who's to say they won't be? They have 25mil in cap space before Welker signs, even after that there should be plenty of room for rookies and Wallace as well if that's the route they want to go. They still need WR help with or without Welker, and it's not like they are similar players vying for the same offensive role.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Sure they can. It doesn't make sense though. You would sign a WR to that kind of money to be the third or fourth receiving option? Not worth it for the fourth option. Third option even. Not to mention they do have other needs to sure up. Wallace is also a guy who needs the ball on point most of the time to make a catch and Brady isn't the greatest, most accurate deep ball guy in the league.

While its possible, the signing of Welker makes it more slim that they'll sign Wallace. Money would probably be better spent on Hartline or trading for Harvin if they could pry him from Minnesota.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

No, they need a guy who can legitimately blow the top off a defense and open up things for their intermediate guys like Welker and the TE's. They dont need more short/intermediate guys. Harvin has speed but he's not the deep threat Wallace is. Hartline? Cmon. I dont think Wallace is going to get crazy money anyway, he's not touching the Bowe deal by any means, and he's not getting a #1 job either. Brady can get the ball to him just fine, he'd see a lot of single coverage thanks to the other 3, and have a shot at a ring.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

They've done it in the past without a guy to "free up" Welker and the TEs underneath. That "theory" that they need a speed guy is overrated as far as the Patriots go. Again, while its totally possible, $10M for a fourth option doesn't make a lot of sense when they have other needs. They could even go Devery Henderson of they want a "speed guy" for a lot less than Wallace.

10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

The one time they had a legit deep threat, they are the most prolific offense of all time and were 1 play away from a perfect season.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

First that was Randy Moss. Mike Wallace is not Randy Moss. Secondly, with Moss there and most of the same components, they didn't have that same "prolific" success the following season. However, before Moss and after Moss, Brady has had success in that offense.

I'm not saying that they won't sign Wallace and that he wouldn't help. It's still possible, but I'm saying that's a lot of money to be invested in a 3rd or 4th target and with Bowe and Welker (reported) negotiations, the chances of Wallace coming in go down. Hell, the Chiefs still have enough money to sign Wallace if they wanted to.

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

not sure what to believe ........... there are contrary reports that say welker is going to test the market.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Wallace isnt going to get 10 mil

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nor should he. It wouldn't be surprising to me if he did the way receivers are paid.

15. CaptainStubing

yep, wallace and jennings may surprise some people because these receivers seem to be getting paid right now

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami gave either of those guys $10M...

17. CaptainStubing

well, the dolphins have so much cap space, they could probably sign both of them at $10 mill per ...........