Yankees Trade Jesus Montero For Mariners Michael Pineda

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The New York Yankees have traded top prospect Jesus Montero and right-handed pitcher Hector Noesi to the Seattle Mariners in exchange for phenom pitcher Michael Pineda and righty Jose Campos, a source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.The Yankees receive the 22-year-old Pineda after he went 9-10 with a 3.74 ERA for the Mariners as a rookie last year.After an up-and-down year in Triple-A, Montero came up to the majors and showed off his electric bat. In 18 games, he hit .328 with four home runs and 28 RBIs. He was expected to be the Yankees designated hitter this season.While there are no questions about Montero's bat, there are some doubts on whether he can catch in the majors. The Yankees almost dealt Montero once before to the Mariners in a 2010 trade for Cliff Lee. The trade fell through and the Mariners ended up sending Lee to the Texas Rangers.Pineda adds more youth to the Yankees' rotation behind CC Sabathia. After Pineda, the Yankees have Ivan Nova and Phil Hughes, who are both 25 years old.

Source: ESPN

2. Chubz

Chubz 1st Stringer

good move for the yanks who get back a cost controlled 22 year old pitchign stud. I loved Montero's bat but they had no where to put him but DH. When you can get that kind of pitcher in exchange for a bat, you do it. You can always find a bat.

They complimented this trade by signing Kuroda to a one year deal, which along with the trade gives the Yankees a good strong rotation along with their already great bullpen.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Montero lit crap up tonight and Noesi pitched an incredible game.

I know it's early... but unless Pineda gets his crap together quick, the Mariners hecked the Yankees on this one.

4. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I agree it looks the Mariners got the better end of this deal right now

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I read an article somewhere predicting Pineda's downfall at the end of last season. There were a bunch of factors but the main one was how astonishing the failure rate is for pitchers under 22 (I think it was 22) who throw over 200 innings in a season.

Crazy...

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top