Youth Center Named For Heat SF LeBron James Opens In Akron Ohio

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

LeBron James sat in a gym inside a community center he and his friends were afraid to visit as kids, reflecting on his past and looking to the future.With his hands folded tightly, James listened as a boy sang "His Eye Is On The Sparrow," the child's beautiful voice filling a place James has transformed with a generous gift."I remember coming through the front doors here," James said afterward In a sit-down interview with The Associated Press. "It was an intimidating place, real dark."James has brought it new light.On Tuesday, the NBA superstar cut the ribbon to officially open The LeBron James Clubhouse at an Akron Boys & Girls Club, a safe haven for area children that he paid to renovate with $240,000 donated through his family foundation. Back home in Ohio and surrounded by family and friends, the Miami Heat forward felt humbled while giving back to his community."It's unbelievable," he said. "As a kid, this is one of the places we didn't want to go. But to see the transformation from what this place used to be to what it is now is amazing, and the only reason we're doing it is for these kids. They are our future."

Source: ESPN

2. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Good for Lebron. I don't hate him, but I'm also not his biggest fan. Doing a great thing for kids.

3. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Thats good to hear chipper cause there are a lot of people out there that hate Lebron and im a HUGE fan of his. The people that don't like him don't like him cause he left Cleveland hanging.... But they name a Youth Center after him....

4. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

I put more blame on Cleveland for being so disrespectful. I understand both sides, but burning jerseys. The name calling and such. Uncalled for. Lebron's a grown butt man - he can play wherever the hell he wants.