Donovan McNabb's ascension to the starting QB position in Washington has made the talented Jason Campbell somewhat expendable in D.C. So what to make of the Campbell soup mess. Yes, I went there.
Despite his relative lack of star power or success for the Washington Redskins, the 5-year vet is still a solid talent who could be an excellent QB in the right system, and with an offensive line that doesn't spread like warm butter.
His fantasy value if he stays in Washington is less than zero, but he could prove to be a worthy fantasy option in deep one QB leagues, or in 2 QB leagues in the right situation. So let's look at some of the potential landing zones for Campbell.
1. Buffalo Bills - Campbell would be an upgrade over every arm on the Bills roster, but will they make a move for the veteran, tab Jimmy Clausen in the draft, or go another route? This seems his most likely destination though at this point.
2. Oakland Raiders - Some think Al Davis might like Campbell's strong arm, but a move to Oakland won't really do much for Jason's fantasy value. Likely Davis will make a typical moronic move in the draft and reach for Tim Tebow in the first round anyway, or ruin Jimmy Clausen's world by drafting him. If he does end up on Oaktown, move their WRs up a notch or 3 come draft day.
3. Minnesota Vikings - Campbell would be an improvement over Sage Rosenfels or Tavaris Jackson on a Favre-less team, but it doesn't seem likely he'll end up there.
4. Carolina Panthers - This would be a good move for the Panthers, who need a veteran presence and skill under center. Unfortunately for Carolina fans, they don't seem to be in the running. So far all signs point to them sticking with Matt Moore under center.
5. Washington Redskins - Campbell could spend his time on the bench waiting for McNabb to get hurt. This is less because the Redskins are so fond of his abilities as the lack of serious interest shown so far by other teams.
Other possibilities - San Francisco 49ers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, or Cleveland Browns.
What would it take to get Campbell? Likely a mid round pick. Something around the fourth.