11 Wins And Home For The New Year

Discussion in 'New England Patriots' started by Chrisbob, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

Whilst the Lions can't buy a win, the Patriots despite losing star QB Tom Brady in the first half of their first game managed to get production from back-up Matt Cassel, overcome some other injuries - especially on defense and at running back - and face up to a much tougher division to win 11 games.

Yet those 11 wins mean nothing because the Patriots and Lions are actually on an even keel......both will be sat at home in the new year watching the play-offs on TV.

Whether you like or loathe the Patriots, that's a bitter pill to swallow.

I don't think this is the time for over-reaction and calls for complete change in the way teams make the post season but it is concerning that two divisions could have being won with 8 wins (depending on the result of the late game one might actually have an 8-8 winner) whilst 11 wins can't get you a play-off berth in another division within the same conference.

Teams know this is possible before the season and winning your own division is the safest way to make sure you aren't burnt like this. If it is to stay like this should more divisional games be considered or will the first 11 win team to fail to make post season since the current format was adopted be enough for pressure to build to scrape divisions and just have two conference tables with the best six records qualifying?

I doubt anything changes but I'm guess Patriots fans feel like shouting for change right now.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Beautiful Thing...

3. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

This is not the first time this has happened. Other teams have complained in the past as well, but it is getting more attention this year because it happened to the beloved Patriots, and I couldn't be happier.

I think the only change that should be made in the playoff format, is that if say a wildcard team has a 11-5 record, and the division winner has a record of only 9-7, I believe the wildcard team should be the host of the game.

4. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I believe Cleveland was the only other 11 win team to not make the playoffs. That's the way the system is set up and everybody knows going in. I don't want the playoffs becoming watered down like the NHL or NBA.

5. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

There's never going to be a perfect playoff format because all teams don't play each other equally. I like the current system more than any others that I've heard.

6. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Well now, you can not win them all. :icon_cheesygrin:

7. hermhater

hermhater Guest

The play off system should stay the same until there are more teams.

8. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4]YouTube - Instant Karma - John lennon[/ame]

9. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

serves the cheaters right

10. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Well, at least now Billicheck isnt gonna go to hell

11. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I agree with that. A division title should give you a playoff spot but not necessarily a home game.

12. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

We won a Super Bowl coming out of a 11-5 season. Good deal for the Playoff teams, they don't have to play us.

13. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

and you lost won coming off a 16-0 season, your point is moot