2011 World Series: Rangers Vs Cardinals Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by themush, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yeah...pretty much bullcrap...

Heaving said that, pretty much thought the Cards would steal Game One...

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Meh. I don't mind it. You can't compare records of teams in different leagues that play different opponents. Plus, at least now the All-Star game means something.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

The 2003 Marlins, 2006 Cardinals, and 2008 Phillies didn't have home field advantage the years they won it. So home field advantage isn't all it's hyped up to be in the World Series.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

why not ? whats the regualar season mean then ? why does a game that the players dont give a crap decide this ?

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

thats not the point plus the phillies didnt have a better record then the rays in 08 anyway.

the point is teams try to win their division and have the best record for a reason. letting a meaningless game decide this is complete bullcrap.

you had the bruce bouchey save his freaking pitcher's arms in this years game instead of managing to win.

plus you have managers pick their own guys to go over others that deserve iot more. plus you have guys that contiually come up with mysterous injuries and drop out.

6. DaBearsrule4ever

Like DawkinsINT said, regular season records in the playoffs mean nothing and he's right. As far as home field advantage in the world series being decided in the allstar game, why don't you send Bud Selig an e-mail and ask him then. Home field advantage is nice to have but it's overhyped.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. DawkinsINT

The regular season means a lot to decide your ranking in your own league.

When it comes to the World Series, they don't play the same teams so it doesn't mean as much. If you want to compare the records of AL/NL teams versus opponents you would have to use interleague records to decide it. The Cards were better against the AL then the Rangers were against the NL.

I don't see the big deal.

8. DawkinsINT

Don't forget that the AL lost the All-Star game because of a Rangers pitcher. I don't see why you think this is a big deal.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

wrong

1st - out of the three sports that do not play their championship at a neutral site baseball is the only sport that does this. all three play inter-league but rarely play the conference.

2nd - HFA is NOT overhyped. 15 out of the last 20 WS winners had HFA. that is hardly overhyped. convenient though how you only mentioned three of the five that didnt have HFA.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

because its a meaningless game and the players and managers still treat it that way and contrary to what has been said HFA is a big thing.

11. DaBearsrule4ever

You going to go to Bud Selig and ask him about this instead of still snitching and complaining about this? You still play to win the game regardless of where it is being played, right? Plus, the team that wins is usually the team that is the hottest team at the time.

12. DawkinsINT

Then you would have to use something like rotating home field advantage every year. You can not compare an american league teams record to that of a national league team, unless you use interleague record. Cards record was better in that category. I don't see in any way how the Rangers have been ripped off.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

great rebuttal. at least dawk is trying.

14. DaBearsrule4ever

Oh wait, i'm sorry, I don't understand just because i'm giving you a good argument(in MY opinion atleast) and NOT seeing it your way, i'm SO SORRY. I understand a lot more then what you are giving me credit for. :icon_rolleyes:

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

baseball used to rotate it and as the record will show 15 of the last 20 teams that won had HFA. 20 of the last 25. that wasn't perfect but it was better then letting the all-star game decide it.

again, why does basketball and hockey allow overall records decide HFA ? to me it's not the perfect way to decide but its much better then what MLB does.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

your argument was HFA is overhyped which it isnt. then you come back with go snitch to selig.

great debate.

17. DaBearsrule4ever

So, IF the AL won the ASG one year and the NL won the ASG the next year, would you be happy with that?

18. DaBearsrule4ever

Lets see here...Selig is the one who decided this here, am I right? (of course I'am) Whether you agree with it or not and most don't, it is what it is.

Heres a question for you. IF the team that had HFA in the World Series with the way it's decided now had the better regular season record EVERY YEAR, would you be complaining about how HFA is decided then? My guess is NO.

19. DawkinsINT

NBA & NHL use better regular season records because they play each other more in interplay.

I really think you are overrating HFA. The team with HFA may have won 20 out of the last 25, but how many went 7 games? HFA only matters in a seven game series, otherwise you throw it out. Teams win the series because they are the better team in a seven game series.

Anyway, I hope the rest of the series is closely contested like last night. That was a good game.

20. DaBearsrule4ever

smeagle, I understand your argument 100%, but I just don't see what the big deal is. Regardless of who has HFA, you still got to play the game. Just because the Rangers don't have HFA in the World Series, I think they have an excellent shot against the Cardinals, granted they are down 1-0 in the series as we speak.