2016 Regular Season Thread - The Carson Wentz Era Begins !

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by smeags, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

they got out schemed.. it's not the players. even a sub par player pool with a great scheme can compete against the best and be competitive - New England comes to mind here as well as the Saints and Cowboys

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

we'll agree to disagree. they have certainly made adjustments. they don't have the talent to execute. wr's cant get separation, that has nothing to do with scheme. stupid penelties (fletcher cox) have nothing to do with scheme.

chip Kelly has the same philosophy you do kurt. scheme > talent.

I disagree with that. new England has bellicheat and brady. two of the greatest ever. dallas absolutely has talent. theres no way they are 5-1 without the best oline, one of the best wr's and great rookie talents at qb and rb.

3. Kurt

DALLAS is 2 and 0 without DEZ and Romo

New England is 4 and 0 without Brady and Gronk

scheme sir, scheme and disciplined players - period

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

I don't discount scheme, its just not as important as talent. never will be. you keep naming exceptions to that rule, but its still the rule.

5. Kurt

so you're saying that if Bill B was in Cleveland he wouldn't be able to turn that team around in 1 season?

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

He couldn't do it the first time he coached Cleveland.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

He hadn't made his deal with the devil yet.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  8. Kurt

During his tenure in Cleveland he compiled a 36–44 record, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team. Coincidentally, his one playoff victory during his Browns tenure was achieved against the Patriots in the wild card round during this postseason. In November of that year in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season. After first being given assurances that he would coach the transplanted Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.. wikipedia

Cleveland must have wanted to stay toilet bowl feeders....

The point is, great coaches can work miracles within organizations. Talent and depth is important obviously but that too is also handled by the coaches and HOW THEY USE THEM. How many players do you see bust with team x yet thrive with team z. That happens a lot in New England!

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

again, you're trying to prove your point by citing an exception to the rule.

btw - If bellicheat doesnt have some journeyman named brady or something like that, there's no dynasty in new England. period.

10. Kurt

what exception to the rule? Great coaches build great teams and know how to utilize players to the best of their ability. There is no exception to this rule.. it is fact.

11. Kurt

@smeags if this rule wasn't true, coaches wouldn't live and die by their record. You are arguing an insane point that teams need exceptional players to be exceptional and that just isn't the case.

12. Kurt

I think what you're saying is I'm citing examples where teams overcome injury and still win consistently. These are not exceptions, they are examples.

13. DawkinsINT

Yesterday, in this game, it was physicality over scheme.

14. Kurt

I agree @DawkinsINT
    My point is coaches are responsible for knowing that or at least adjusting. Lack of compensating got Les Miles fired this season. Strength and conditioning, yep that's coaches too. You get played millions to ensure pro athletes perform optimally.

Ryan Mathews, only playing 21 percent of the offensive snaps, gained 60 yards. 60 on 9 touches. Criminal misuse.

Look on the bright side, at least you don't have deal with LeSean McCoy anymore..................... wtf philly!

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

building a great team means gathering talent. you have been arguing scheme over talent. I say the opposite and nowhere did i say the talent needs to be "exceptional" up and down the roster and nowhere did I ever say scheme doesn't natter at all, I agree with you that it does matter.

IMO, the eagles lack talent and it cant simply be overcome by changing the scheme. that doesn't mean scheme doesn't play a part in trying to be competitive, but its not the #1 thing.

dropped passes, not a scheme issue
    fumbles - not a scheme issue
    missing blocks - not a scheme issue
    missing gap assignments - not a scheme issue
    missing wide open receivers - not a scheme issue
    stupid penalties - not a scheme issue
    jackass olinemen getting caught using PED's (again) - not a scheme issue

none of us see the game film like the experts, ron jaworski and brian baldinger both said the issue is not scheme, its lack of talent and execution.

you know, like not having lesean McCoy any longer, desean Jackson, maclin, a good oline. etc.

so yeah, I do not discount scheme and adjustments at all, I just think its secondary to talent and execution.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

7-9 looking more & more as the likely end.

17. DawkinsINT

Yeah it does. I don't know what the f**k is happening with Pederson and his decisions lately. Completely different than the first 3 weeks.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

Reid 2.0

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

well, four out of the last 6 games are at home, so there's hope for something to happen, but nfc record is going to kill them with the tie breakers ever if they do win enough games, which I don't think they will.

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

well, at least Pederson won that two yard challenge. :bowdown"