50+ Hurt After Amtrak Train Derails, Rolls on Side in Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by 86WARD, May 12, 2015.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

At least 50 people were hurt after an Amtrak train, carrying 240 passenger, derailed and rolled onto its side in the Frankford section of Philadelphia Tuesday night, according to officials.

Eight to ten cars left the tracks near the 2000 block of Wheatsheaf Lane. The Amtrak Northeast Regional Train 188 was heading to New York from Washington, DC.

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...nt-Philadelphia--303536331.html#ixzz3Zz9DWUeM

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Sub 25 percent injury rate? Crashing on Amtrak - safer than playing in the NFL.

Steve12 likes this.
  3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

hope our fellow posters from philly were not on this train.smeags and dawkins,hope you guys were not impacted by this.

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I don't live in Philly. I live on the Jersey Shore about an hour and a half away.

Diesel44 likes this.
  5. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

punch Snookie in the mouth for me please.

Diesel44, 86WARD and DawkinsINT like this.
  6. Buck Fenson

man I want to say something like event the trains don't want to go to Philly but I won't out of respect of the dead people.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

It was leaving Philly...so technically, it didn't want to go to New York...which is understandable in a weird way.

Heard today that the train was going 106 in an area of a curve where the speed limit for the train is only 50.

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I heard that too. No idea how a mistake like that could be made by the conductor. It will be interesting to hear what they find in their investigation.

9. Buck Fenson

that is f--ked up. I mean with modern technology, it is very difficult to wreck a train by yourself. I wanted to one day take a train ride but now I don't know.

10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

the damn conductior lived too,did'nt he?

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

and then there is dumbasses like this.
    [​IMG]

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

i have been on that track line many times and that is a sharp curve. never traveled on it on an amtrak train but even the septa trains slow down and they dont go nearly as fast.

13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

106 mph is really fast for going straight,much less going around a curve. can't wait to hear the crew's explanation for going that fast around a curve.

14. Buck Fenson

he said he can't remember.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

those amtrak trains fly, especially the acela. we would try to stay with them on I95 back in the day and they leave you in the dust even if you're doing 100mph. not sure why the egineer would have that thing moving that quick at all inside the city like that. he was only about two miles away from 30th street station. after that curve its a straight line all the way past trenton.

they only use that one set of tracks in the city which they have to share with septa commuter and freight trains. ive been on that speta train many times when one of the metroliners go by. there's no doubt whats blurring past you.

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

are the trains back in use now,or are they still closed smeags?also heard there was an 8th fatality today.
    just an easy way out of getting away with screwing up and having to admit it.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

As of this morning they were still closed.

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

only form of public transpartation i have ever rode on was the subway in atlanta,ga. are these trains basically the same thing?
    i do not know enough about public trans or subway to really know.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

20. Buck Fenson

subway is tasty