Aaron Rodgers' Play Draws Mike McCarthy's Scrutiny

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Sweets, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Surprisingly, Packers coach Mike McCarthy seemed more concerned with the sacks than the interceptions since Aaron Rodgers has already been sacked 37 times - three more than he was sacked in 16 games a year ago. "It has to stop," McCarthy said. "You can't sit here and keep taking sacks. ... That's a reflection of coaching and playing. It's something that's been coached, it's something that's been trained, and it keeps showing up on Sundays. (Look) at Tampa Bay's quotes all week. That's all they talked about, was sacking the quarterback and it happened again today. It has to end. We cannot continue to have the numbers that we have in sacks." But McCarthy didn't stop there, although poor pass protection by the injury-riddled offensive line has been the team's Achilles' heel, sacks are a shared responsibility. At times, the line has made mental and physical mistakes, at times, Rodgers has held the ball too long and Sunday, McCarthy seemed to suggest that Rodgers was indecisive, that receivers were open at times and he wouldn't deliver the ball.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal

2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

w/o protection he didn't have much of a choice. Throw the ball down the field and risk an INT, or keep it and get sacked. Well coach, how about improving our o-line?

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

That's what I was going to say. The o-line looked terrible yesterday against the Bucs pass rush....

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

They O-line look terrible since the preaseason

5. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

The O-line isn't helping, but that's what Rodgers does. Ever since he became the starter I saw that he always prepares for the sack. Wraps the ball up and is ready to go down 90% of the time.

6. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

If 37 sacks have been taken, it's not just the QBs fault.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

wow. mccarthy is in panic mode big time. instead of pointing the finger squarely at himself and his coaching staff, he's now hinting that it's the PLAYER'S faults? wow, this is bad for a head coach and shows big time panic and insecurity about the job that HE is doing, which is not good.

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I don't even think he's in jeopardy to loose his job CS. TT will protect him....

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

and i was talking to another packers fan on a different board. he says they still owe mccarthy $16 million so if they fire him, they'll owe him a lot of money PLUS have to hire a new coach and he doesn't think the front office will do it. it's just too much money to lose.

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Here we go....

At least he has protection :eek:hboy:

11. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

Hes like ben rothlisberger, he doesnt care bout the sack. Its the multiple sacks in a row that kills the drive. That, and the 3rd and impossibles.

12. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

The preseason hype on Rodgers was unbelievable. It was like Green Bay was a clinch for the division, however, he's looked like crap most of the season. After getting pounded most of the year, he's probably getting close to where he goes down in the fetal position at the first sign of danger. What I don't understand is teams not doing everything in their power to develope their Offensive lines, including solid backups. You don't pay these guys crap to begin with, so they aren't killing you on cap space. Without them you are TOTALLY FREAKED. The best QB or RB are hecked without blocking. We signed all of our OL guys long term just to keep Brady from getting his nuts driven thru the ear holes of his helmet. Without a good Offensive line you are TOTALLY FREAKED. :icon_rolleyes: I know I repeated myself.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Poor Rodgers, he's going through what David Carr went through with the Texans and their hecked up front line, pathetic. How made the Packers think that McCarthy was worth 16M, wtf :moe:

14. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

I'm saying this for weeks now...

15. hermhater

hermhater Guest

And I've been saying it for years dude...

16. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

packers have had alot of injuries to the whole team, i just wonder why there wasn't any moves made before the trade dead line. the oline is in shambles and the coaches just don;t have an answer.

17. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

They should have made offers. At least TRY! TT refuses tho...hed rather build throught the draft... We won our superbowl in 96' because of building the free agency AND draft.
    We had a stacked butt team, and now look. We have alan barbIE. hes a cat and needed to lose his starting job weeks ago. We have terrible pass defense, but our run D has improved a bit. Im just sick of all the hype and being let down. Rodgers would easily be a top 5 qb if he had peyton manning or tom bradys line...

18. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

You saw how the staff responded. O-lineman on IR - WR activated :icon_rolleyes:

Amen
    I don't believe in his build-throught-draft crap. You need to keep/bring in veterans too.

19. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

McCarthy calls the plays, and before he criticizes Rodgers, he needs to look at the dumb butt plays he is calling. He knows the o-line is suffering yet on 3rd down, he goes with an empty back field. Nothing like putting a sign on Rodgers head that says KILL ME.

20. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Exactly. I've always hated sacks getting pinned on a qb. If the QB holds on too long, coach him up! Call quick slants and screens. Put a guy behind a crapty o-line and give the recievers routes that take forever to develope, and what do you expect to happen?