Ads That Keep Popping Up

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by Greg Brosh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

:icon_rolleyes: That diet ad is annoying as Hell.

2. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

:word:

3. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

i understand that it is helping the site and all but it is extremely freaking annoying that every time i click on a thread i have to wait for it to load and click ignore before i can actually look at the thread. i am also using firefox

4. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

no i dont get this ad. i dont ever get ads

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well annoying as it may be, it is helping us pay the piper and unless the piper doesn't send us a bill ever, the ads will stay. Ads are on all the bigger sites, they help generate revenue because most members don't help out financially.

6. truelife

truelife 6-0 is our goal

think the add is on a glitch right now. i have seen it a couple times before and it pops up once in a while an im cool with that. but now for the last 10 minutes every single thing i do it pops up first from thread to thread or from page to page within a thread no matter what..

any reasoning why this may be happening

7. Black Prowler

Black Prowler Crazy Black Cat!

I got a couple popup blockers so I don't get the popup ads here but if I enter through the home page I do get oen that hijacks to screen and has no way to get to the board unless I refresh. It would be cool if it had a link on it to click onto the board after it hits though. I'm surprised my blockers aren't getting that one but no big deal..sites gotta pay thier bills so I understand the ads..I do the same at my sites.

8. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

there has to be a way to have advertisements than to have that stupid thing.

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

dmaciz, we have tried a lot of different ones and this one is staying. If people donated through the amazon donation on the front page we wouldn't need the ads at all but that's just not happening.

10. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

well id donate but only if i knew others would to because if only i did that would just be a waste and wouldnt help anything

11. tstlkevanilla

tstlkevanilla Pro Bowler

I'm using Firefox and it only comes up on the main page.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well it wouldn't be a waste, you'd be helping the site but I understand how you feel however the more people are involved in this the less ads we need, thanks Crowned

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

It's simple really.....nobody ever clicks on the text ads we have.....EVER. I can pull up the stats to prove it. The full-page ad gives the site revenue each time it's shown, irregardless if someone clicks on it or not. So...until we ever see a difference in people helping the site by clicking the text ads once in a while? They are here to stay because they are paying the bills to keep the site online. No ads? No revenue. No revenue? No site.

14. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Screw these fade in and out ads, bring back the stupid snitch with "You've won a free Ipod Nano."

15. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Like I said....if people would click on the text ads on a regular basis to help the site then there would be no need for the full-page ads. Since nobody still bothers to click on the text ads the full page ads are here to stay.

16. Black Prowler

I noticed the same thing with the ads I run on my sites..no one clicks them.....wtf you'd think they'd be interested in some of them since they are usually related to the site content.:icon_rolleyes: I'm curious about this fade in ad on front page as far as revenue...not sure I want to use something like that knowing my users would probably have a crapfit about it but it's worth looking into if it's gonna bring in revenue without clicks....just wondering if Google will penalize you for having a popup ad. I got nailed for some bs on my panthers site and had to re-arrange things so I can try to get off thier stupid list of badware sites...heckers!:icon_rolleyes:

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

That's the think BP no one clicks the ads and with this full page ad no one needs to and it still generates revenue. As you well know it's not free to run a site with paying for vBulletin and the server and the more traffic you attract the higher your cost of server space, I'd just like our members to realize that the money has to come from somewhere, we hate the ads too but we pay for GIF out of our own pockets if the ads weren't there, even now the ad doesn't pay for it all we still have to pay some of the cost.

18. Black Prowler

believe me I know all about site costs..they can add up fast. But with my current webhost I have lots of file space, unlimited databases and database space lots of bandwidth per month and can host more than one site so it's not costing me much for hosting annually. My forum software is not too expensive either and the support renewals are affordable and optional so I usually don't renew them unless thier is a huge issue I can't fix(which is very rare.) Gotta cut corners on the expenses when you can...luckily I don't have to sacrifice quality to do that.

Believe me I got my share of ads on my sites and it doens't bring in enough to pay the bill so I am always looking for alternatives.:icon_cool:

click the ads heckers! woot! :beerchug:

(I just did):icon_cheesygrin:

19. truelife

truelife 6-0 is our goal

i dont mind the add when it pops up once in a while like it used to. my only question is now for the past day and a half every single thing i do i first have to wait for the add to come up then skip it then do something and wait again..

is there anything i can do on my part beside clicking other adds regulary which im going to start doing that won't cause the fade in adds after everything i click on?

20. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

True are you using firefox??? I see it once and that's when I log in for the first time that's it. Also I noticed that some of the people that had problems with the ad popping up a lot hadn't filled out their profiles all the way, if you are prompted to do that then do it, if it's personal crap, lie if you want but fill it all out, and see if that works.