AFC Wildcard Race

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Crowned, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Breaking news people: Just watched the Ravens Wrap-Up on WBAL TV 11. As Pete Gilbert puts it, you would need "an MIT degree to understand" the weird playoff scenario that has the Broncos as the 5 seed and the Jets as the 6 and the Ravens as the 7. HOWEVER, that is ONLY if the season ended today. IT REMAINS that the Jets and Ravens both control their destinies and will be the wild card teams if they win. The NFL has confirmed this crazy tiebreaker which I am NOT going to attempt to begin to understand. Remember: the important thing is that if the Ravens and Jets win, they are in.

2. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Or reading how confusing playoff scenarios are since I really haven't paid attention to them since the early 90s.

3. :word: x2

4. brakos82

Stop :word:ing me. LOL

I'm gonna go get my MIT degree now to figure this crap out.

5. ravenfan52

Division Winners:

1. z-Colts - 14-1
    2. y-Chargers - 12-3
    3. x-Bengals - 10-5
    4. x-Patriots - 10-5

Wild Card:

5. Broncos - 8-7
    6. Jets* - 8-7

In the hunt:

7. Ravens* - 8-7
    9. Texans - 8-7
    10. Steelers - 8-7
    11. Dolphins - 7-8
    12. Jaguars - 7-8

Mathematically Eliminated:

12. Titans - 7-8
    13. Raiders - 5-10
    14. Bills - 5-10
    15. Browns - 4-11
    16. Chiefs - 3-12

x - clinched division
    y - clinched division and first round bye
    z - clinched division, first round bye, and homefield advantage throughout playoffs
    * - can clinch a playoff spot with a week 17 win

Key week 17 AFC matchups with playoff implications: Bengals at Jets, Patriots at Texans, Steelers at Dolphins, Ravens at Raiders, Chiefs, at Broncos, Jaguars at Browns

Playoff Picture 2009

NFL Standings

NFL Tie-Breaking Procedures

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I think the Bengals game moving to Sunday Night screwed us, they will already know by then if the Patriots have won or lost and if the Patriots have won they have no reason to play their starters. I'm pretty sure the Steelers won't be in the playoffs.

7. Baltimore currently lies in this category:

Three or More Clubs:

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Is their an MIT grad in da house? :rofl:

8. ravenfan52

you make a good point. However, I refuse to predict the Ravens facing the Patriots in the first round of the playoffs :icon_cheesygrin:

9. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Yea Ravens and Jets will get the wildcards, that's my final answer. Oh well the Steelers will beat the Dolphins and in the season on a little streak, good way to go into next season and almost a hell of a turn around. Next season just win the games you're supposed to and the rest will take care of itself boys.

10. ravenfan52

Damn! No matter how you paint it, if the Ravens win, they will play the Patriots in the playoffs unless there's a tie or something like that. Well, our goal has always been to just get in the playoffs, for weeks now, that was all we cared about. We won't make it far in there, but let's just get there by beating Oakland and hope for the best.

11. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

Funk dat noise. I watched BASEketball tonight, and Kenny Mayne & Dan Patrick's attempting to explain the playoff scenarios there pretty much summed up the AFC. Baltimore was even in that one too!

12. ravenfan52

Think I figured it out. I should apply to MIT! The common opponents tiebreaker that has the Jets over the Broncos and Ravens doesn't apply yet because the Ravens haven't played the Raiders yet and the Jets haven't played the Bengals yet. But they will which means the Jets and Ravens control their destinies. But right now if the season were over it would be 5 broncos 6 jets.

Also, pretty much the only way Ravens play Bengals in first round is if Ravens win, Patriots win, and Bengals win. That would put Pats at 3 and Bengals at 4 and Ravens at 5 and Steelers/Broncos/etc. at 6. The problem is that the NFL hecked us in flexing jets-bungles. if the pats win the bengals will have nothing to play for. locked into No. 4 seed they can rest starters and play Jets in first round or play a real game and if they win play ravens if they lose play jets. they essentially can choose their opponent in first round. plz pick us!

13. ravenfan52

The Jaguars will make the playoffs if they win and at least four out of the following five teams lose: Ravens, Steelers, Broncos, Texans, Jets.

The Texans will make the playoffs if they win and at least two out of the following three teams lose or tie: Jets, Ravens, Broncos.

The Dolphins will make the playoffs if they win and the Jets, Ravens, Broncos, and Texans all lose.

The Steelers will make the playoffs if they win and the Texans and Jets both lose or tie, OR if the Texans and Ravens both lose or tie, OR if the Broncos, Ravens, and Jets all lose or tie.

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

15. ravenfan52

Denver makes the playoff with:

DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR

-DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + PIT loss or tie OR

-DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + HOU win OR

-DEN win + BAL loss or tie + PIT loss or tie OR

-DEN win + BAL loss or tie + HOU win OR

-PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss OR

-PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss OR

-PIT loss + BAL loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss OR

-PIT loss + HOU loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss OR

-MIA loss or tie + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss or tie

Wilson: AFC playoff scenarios | National Football Post

Jets will make the playoffs with a win.

Ravens will make the playoffs with a win.

16. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

again .......................... :confused:

17. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Giants won 5 straight out the gate.

Houston lost 4 straight after starting 5-3, and have now won 3 straight.

Chargers have won 10 straight

Eagles have won 6

Falcons went 4-1, before mudsliding down to 8-7.

Jets?

Steelers were 6-3 before losing 4 straight, and then winning 2 straight

Bucs lost 10 straight and now have won 3 of their last 4.

18. brakos82

Just win, and if you're not the Jets or Ravens, pray.

19. ravenfan52

bucs lost 7 straight, not 10, but i get the point.

20. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

They lost enough man, they lost enough. lol