All I Want For Christmas Is A New Cardinals Head Coach

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by WOODDRIVER, Dec 16, 2012.

1. WOODDRIVER

WOODDRIVER Team Veteran

I'm back!, did anybody miss me?...Did anybody even notice I was gone?...

It's been a tough year for Arizona Cardinals fans. Long time Cardinals fans like myself are used to tough years, but I just can't remember it being worse!

What makes it worse is that this season started out with such promise: The Cardinals finished September with an unbeaten record, with unexpected wins against the Patriots in Foxboro followed by a dominant victory against the heavily favored Eagles. No realistic Cardinals fans would have predicted both victories prior to the season.

Since then, it's gone from bad, to worse, to horrible. The combination of injuries to the offensive line, running backs, and quarterbacks led to the Cardinals taking the field with a patch-work offense that has been unable to score more than 20 points in 9 straight games. Worse yet the Cardinals organization did not make any (serious) attempt to acquire players to solidify those thin positons, nor did they appear to simplify the offense in any way to help the young players who were struggling.

Sadly, until last week, the Cardinals defense has been outstanding. They are among the best in the league in many defensive categories and until last week, showed no signs of quitting on the coach. They have played so well that many people beleive that defensive coordinator Ray Horton is a strong candidate to be a head coach next year.

It should be obvious to anyone who watched last week's miserable performance in Seattle, that the team has quit on the coach. The first quarter benching of quarterback John Skelton in week 11, the refusal of Coach Whisenhunt to go back to Skelton in week 13 against the Jets despite the fact that starting quarterback (rookie) Ryan Lindley did not convert a single first down in the game, and the resulting in-fighting within the defense led to the worst loss in Cardinals franchise history last week. Considering the Cardinals long, sad, history of losing that's an incredibly deep drop from a team that started the season 4-0.

So why would the Cardinals ownership come out earlier this week and announce that Ken Whisenhunt would remain the head coach through the remainder of the season? How much more lattitude is owed the coach that took the Cardinals to SuperBowl four seasons ago? Is it really worth possibly losing Larry Fitzgerald and Darnell Dockett to stay with a coach who only has one year (at a salary of $5 million) left on his contract?

I say no! If they had fired Whisenhunt last week they could have promoted Horton to interim coach to see if he could revive the morale of the team, and see if he was head coach material. Yet again, the Cardinals squandered an opportunity. Worse yet, they may be more willing to bring Whiz back next year rather than fire him and pay the remainder of his contract.

Memo to the Cardinals ownership: Please run for the life-boats, don't just stand on the deck and listen to the band!

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, in today's league, mis-handling of the QB situation will make any head coach a failure, even coaches once considered to be at the top of their game ........... Jon Gruden .......... Shanahan in Denver .......... hell, even the great Bill Belichick has an NFL record of 52-62 when Tom Brady isn't his QB.

That Belichick record would put him below the winning %'s posted by guys such as Dave Wanndstedt, Mike Tice, Tony Sparano, Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Rex Ryan, Jack Del Rio, Brad Childress, and Jim Fassel ............. a laundry list of NFL head coaches who are considered epic failures as head coaches in this league.

what does that mean? G.M.'s and H.C.'s live and die with the QB position and Whiz is going to lose his job because they have not been able to replace Kurt Warner.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Damn [MENTION=627]WOODDRIVER[/MENTION]....good to see you back and I hope you stick around until the bloody end.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. That late season vote of confidence that Whiz was given was the absolute wrong thing to do. IMO, Whiz should have sacked immediately following the Seattle game and Horton moved to the sidelines. It seems that the team has quit on Whiz and although zero effort by the players is not acceptable, they have the right to have no confidence in his ability to manage the QB position and O-Line. He's completely directionless and the players know it. I would be absolutely shocked if Whiz is asked to return. Not only would the Cards be retaining a HC that cannot succeed without a future HOF QB and an unequaled WR corps on the roster, the Cards would lose Horton as well (unless the Cards were complete a-holes and refuse to allow other teams to talk to him).

The post-game pressers with Whiz saying "we've got to work harder and eliminate the mistakes" have worn thin. The only mistake that needs correcting to avoid a complete mutiny is for Bidwell to give Whiz his walking papers.

Again, glad to see your post and hope to see more of that red font for the rest of the season.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

The Cardinals should throw the keys to the company to sean peyton!

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Whisenhunt looked like a keeper there for a little bit...now...not so much. But then again, I question the whole organization...not just the coaching staff.

Good to see you back [MENTION=627]WOODDRIVER[/MENTION].!

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Always good to hear from WOODDRIVER.

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

[MENTION=627]WOODDRIVER[/MENTION] my Smackdown buddy!!!! of course we missed ya but I just thought it was because your team was tanking...lol

8. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Welcome back [MENTION=627]WOODDRIVER[/MENTION] ! Nice to see some familiar faces here.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

im not defending whiz here but maybe you should aim higher and wish for new ownership ?

as far as whiz goes i think he's one of these guys that reached his peak at the coordinator spot.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  10. markaz

And most Cards fans would agree with you. Had it not been for Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Breaston, Whiz would probably have been given his pink slip after last season.

11. markaz

Well [MENTION=627]WOODDRIVER[/MENTION]...YOU JUST GOT YOUR WISH!