All Star Teams

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Bears 88, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Pedroia over Kinsler? [​IMG]

Varitek and his .219 average over Pierzynski. :albc:

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Not to mention all the Cubs. Soriano, Fukodome, Soto, Ramirez, Wood, Zambrano....please! Fukodome and Wood are both jokes. Soriano doesn't deserve it based on numbers of other OF candidates. Soto may be the only deserving one.

3. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Do you have any idea what Pedroia's numbers have been like? He's on a tear right now.

He's hitting something like .482 since June 14th and is leading the majors in a bunch of categories over that time.

Varitek doesn't deserve to be there.

Give me a break with Pierzynski, Mauer deserves it much more then him.

4. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

Wood is a joke? Please. Look at the numbers, he has been outstanding this year. He had a few blown saves in the first month or so but then he righted himself and all of his peripheral numbers are rock solid.

5. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

A joke may have been to harsh.....after looking Wood has blown only 5 saves, I'm shocked......I thought it would be double that. I would still pick Lidge or Wagner over Wood but his numbers aren't near as bad as I first thought. Sorry URL54!:beerchug:

6. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

It's okay. There are Cubs fans out there that have been very harsh on Wood this year too. I don't really understand it though, they act like he is only the closer because his name is Kerry Wood but the reality is that his numbers are outstanding. Very low WHIP, low BAA, outstanding K/BB ratio, etc. The few blown saves he has had, those are usually the result of either hitting a batter or walking a batter to start an inning. But overall his control has been pretty sharp.

7. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Kinsler made the team anyway. Both he and Pedroia deserved to be there, so I see nothing wrong with Pedroia is starting. At least the popularity contest put the right guys in there.

Varitek as a reserve is a joke, imo. It hasn't been a very good year for catchers in the AL, but Pierzynski has been good and should have made the team.

Fukodome and Soriano in the outfield baffles me. I'm hoping Burrell takes Soriano's spot since he really deserves it and probably won't win the final vote thing against Wright. Ludwick should take the starting spot, imo.

Wood has gotten a lot of strikeouts, but 5 blown saves before the break is a bit much. I think there were other starters who were more deserving of an ASG spot than Wood. As long as Lidge is the closer, I don't give a crap, though.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Burrelll should defnitely be in there over Soriano...no doubt there...

9. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

You guys are voting, right? Don't just talk about it, vote!

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Already did...

11. burnout2oo7

I don't think ther's a limit on how many times you can vote. Keep voting for Pat. It's going to take a lot to beat out that douchebag in New York, who is batting .238 after the 7th inning btw. Captain Clutch...don't think so.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I just voted about 10 more times...

13. Cletusaurus

Cletusaurus YES! YES! YES!

I think I've already voted 25 times for Jose Guillen over Jason Giambi's ph0rnstache... even though I know it's not gonna make heck-all bit of difference and the AL needs more outfielders...

14. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

This whole thing is a heckin' popularity contest. Brian Roberts is leading the AL in doubles and triples, and is fourth in stolen bases, and he's only on the final vote ballot. Aubrey Huff is on pace for like 30 home runs and pretty great numbers. Had his hot streak started a little earlier or had the all-star game been a little later, I'd be protesting for him like crazy.

15. burnout2oo7

Roberts is having a good season (he has a higher OPS than Pedroia), but I think his run production cost him the spot on the team. Even as a second baseman, it's going to be tough to make the ASG with only 32 RBIs. If Kinsler got the starting spot and it was between Roberts and Pedroia as reserves, I would have gone with Pedroia.

I also think Jose Lopez has more of a right than Roberts to make the "I got snubbed" statement.

16. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Hamels got snubbed for sure.

17. burnout2oo7

I think he deserved it over Dempster. Dempster is having a great season, but he hasn't been an elite pitcher. The Phils blew some of King Cole's great starts early in the season, so his record isn't that great. I'm guessing that's what made Hurdle take Dempster over Cole.

[​IMG]

18. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

i agree with ya, ravens...... brian roberts & aubrey huff, along with nick markakis should be on the AL team as well. i knew sherril would make it, but the other 3 i just mentioned should join him.

19. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Soriano, Fukudummy, Ramirez, Soto= Joke.

McCann > Soto
    Hart > Fukudummy
    Wright > Ramirez
    Holliday > Soriano

This is exactly why i don't watch the AS Game.

The guys i mentioned above have no freaking business being there.

Nah, lets have the all Flubs/Red Sox AS Game. :albc:

20. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

I agree with Varitek not really deserving to be on the ballot.
    When he was leading the votes and hitting .238....give me a break.
    The players chose him over Pierzynskiskdsksitiiisiskiiii b/c AJ's a douchebag.
    Varitek has his issues at the plate, but there are few catchers who can call a game like him.
    I've been voting for Longoria.
    The Rays need another representative on the squad.