Angels Acquire Mark Teixeira

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Bears 88, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

People down here were convinced he was coming here. I think the Angels came out on top of this one.

3. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

this sucked. they had just announced a teixeira mcfarlane action figure for june 09 too. :icon_evil:

4. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I disagree. The Angels get better at the position now, but they're losing Tex after the season. The Braves get a young, solid hitting, and good fielding first baseman who is under their control for a couple more years.

I really don't understand why the Angels felt the need to deal away a starter who is part of their present and future and a prospect who could be part of their future for an upgrade at the position. You're already the best team in the majors and all you're getting with Tex is more power.

5. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Angels are playing for this year because you can't know whats going to happen next year.

6. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

I would understand that if they were not already the best team in baseball and if this move made a bigger impact, but that's not the case.

Also, I think the best way to win a championship is to string together a bunch of seasons with a team that contend. Not go all out for one year. Even as the best team in baseball, the odds of winning it all are against you. It's better to stretch the window out so that eventually you can beat the odds.

7. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Is this a rental or do they buy????

8. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I agree with burnout, you're already the best team in the majors. Tex is more than likely a 3 month rental unless they're willing to pony up a multi-year $20-25 mill per. Kotchman is a nice player and the Braves should be ecstatic that they got him in return for a player they had NO SHOT of re-signing. Unnecessary move imo.

9. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Now I understand why there was an earth quake in California earlier.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

not sure why people feel this is a surprise, the angels are playing the same game the yankees and red sox have been playing for years by stopping their competition from getting the best players on the market. also, don't be too quick to think that the angels are going to let tex walk after this season. they have the money to burn on him and have shown the last few years that they will spend big bucks (ie guererro, hunter & matthews) and it won't be $20-$25mil.

11. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

The buzz in SoCal is that they'll sign him after this season.

12. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

He'll be going back to the East cost after the year is up. He's stated that he wants to play closer to his hometown Baltimore. Stupid trade by the Halos because he's not that much of an upgrade over Kotchman.

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

when he gets offered $17mil a year from the angels he'll forget about baltimore. unless of course the yankees offer him $19mil.

14. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

^ What if Baltimore offers him $15 million? Does he still forget about them?