Angels Sign 1B Albert Pujols

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by TheDuke, Dec 8, 2011.

1. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

$153K a game?

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Fans in St Louis have just cause for being pissed, but they need to focus some of that hatred to the front office. What the heck were they thinking that Matt Holliday was a bigger priority to sign to a monster deal ahead of Pujols. Was it a message to Albert that they were going to pay big bucks when it came Albert's turn. Yeah Pujols is a greedy motherhecker, but if the front office hadn't put their heads in the sand about Pujol's loyalty to the organization and the city and made him priority one well ahead of his final year, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

3. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

And still the second team in the city. No matter what the Angels do, they will be second fiddle to the Dodgers.

I'm not overtly bitter, because I knew he was going, but I am disappointed in the guy because he sold out for just more money, it wasn't about joining a contender (Like a New York or Boston) or a rising franchise (Like Miami), he just took the biggest offer and slotted himself in as the centerpiece surrounded by mediocrity.

4. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I find it funny how people always think these great players are somehow different and more loyal than lesser players and are shocked and pissed when they go for the biggest deal. Wtf else is he supposed to do? Albert Pujols is a baseball player. He is an athlete. 95% of all athletes will take the biggest deal on the table over staying loyal to their city. Being an elite player doesn't change that and I don't get why people think it should.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

you're backtracking now but that's ok. being second fiddle to the dodgers in the 2nd largest market isnt exactly an afterthought franchise. plus their attendence is better than the dodgers. are the mets an afterthought team as well ? the white sox ?

the angels aren't a contender ? c'mon man, that's a bit far too. the angels are always in the hunt to win their division. the last two years the rangers took the crown and now the angels just made to moves to change that.

also there are reports that the marlins did offer a bigger deal but pujols stil decided l.a. was better than miami.

bottom line is this, stop being mad at pujols and direct your angst at the right parties. the dopes running the cardinals that let him walk because as mentioned before they decided locking up holiday was more important then securing one the best hitters ever.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Please read other posts before spouting this nonsense. Albert Pujols owes as much to Saint Louis as Reyes did to New York. Nothing. It's a business. If he went to the Marlins I'd call it a sell out but he made the smartest move that he could make. He went to an AL Club that is ALWAYS in contention and it's a way for him to extend his career beyond what it would/could be in the NL. If a stud 1b comes along to replace Pujols guess what? HE DH'S! It's a smart business move. He took a GIANT sum of money that was offered to him and signed a contract with a team that is showing it wants to win. CJ Wilson is a great pick up. Sure, he sucks in the playoffs but who knows. I don't think he'll suddenly get better but Pujols made the smartest move he could have made. He did join a contender AND a rising franchise. They have quality players on their squad, great pitching and one of the best managers in baseball. La Russa bolted St Louis and should show fans that the next few years is going to be rough one for this squad. But don't hate Pujols. He made the right move.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

And the Angels have won the west 4 of the last 7 seasons. So don't act as if they're the Washington Nationals.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

seems the only afterthought here is the team pujols left.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Some peckerheads on TV keep saying that these owners (of pro franchises) are NOT stupid men because they're billionaire businessmen. Bullcrap. These owners are some of the dumbest people on earth when deciding the future of their hobby. Pujols, Amare' Stoudemire, LeBron....all examples of player that walked in free agency without a trade and now their organizations are feeling the sting of hostile fanbases that question ownership's desire to win. Welcome to the club of stupid owners, St. Louis.

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

this is already looking like a disasterous A-rod type deal that is going to be a noose hanging around the neck of the Angels organization for several more years. his effectiveness has now declined 6 consecutive seasons in a row. either he is aging really quickly or he stopped juicing.

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

In my view,he can't hit the al pitchers.he should have stayed in st Louis and the nl.he knew all the pitchers from playing aginst them and he knew all the parks he played in and his family is back in st Louis. angels should just release him while they can.

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Screwin dopes, trading one of the best hitters ever is no way to win a WS. Oh. Wait...

LMAO.

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

But it looked like that when they signed him. Absolute best case, he would've had five good years. This decline was inevitable, just came sooner than it probably should have.

Suckers.

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

how many hrs has he hit since he went to the angels? how many games has he missed?

15. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Worst contract in the history of ever.

16. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Swing and a miss for 2011 andy82.

Still, Albert's statline for LAA: 256 G, .275 BA, 47 HR, .338 OBP, .485 SLG....not exactly worth the $28m in salary paid so far, but as bigsexy said, this was expected, albeit not as crapty.

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

47 hrs in two seasons?