Bears Coach Marc Trestman Declines To Comment On LB Brian Urlacher

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweets, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

There are many questions surrounding Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, who will turn 35 in May, and new Bears coach Marc Trestman didn't have a lot of answers Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports.

"Objectively, I've watched the man play for a lot of years," Trestman said. "He exemplifies what being a Chicago Bear is all about. We all know that. When I step out of this room, we'll begin to study and I'll talk to (general manager Phil Emery) about where personnel fits and how it works."

Asked if he wants Urlacher back, Trestman deferred to Emery and said he needs to learn his roster better in the coming weeks and months.

"I recognize certainly what he has meant to this locker room and to the fan base," Trestman said. "When we get done here, we'll try to answer some of those questions."

Source: The Redzone

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Nice try making him commit. :icon_smile:

Just not gonna happen for quite awhile yet...

3. AdiBear

AdiBear 1st Stringer

IMO Urlacher is coming to the end of a great career he knows it and Tresman knows it,also Lach's body knows it too...I wouldnt be surprised if he dont come back next season...

4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

I hope Urlacher comes back for another season or two but if he doesn't then he has had one hell of a career as a Chicago Bear.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Well I thought he would follow Lovie wherever he went but obviously that's not an option. So now he really either stays in Chicago or retires as the second best linebacker of his era.

6. DaBears22

He should still have at least two years left as a top 15 LB so no reason for him to retire now unless he wants to. Wouldn't there be a huge market for him in free agency if he does not resign with Chicago?

7. Steve12

Honestly I don't think so. I don't really think he's a top 15 linebacker anymore. Especially with that knee injury.

8. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Top 15? No, he's far from it now. Add to that another year under his belt? I don't honestly see what the upside would be to bring him back other than nostalgia.

9. DaBears22

I was going to state a case for Urlacher still having value to the Bears but your signature totally distracted me. What are we talking about again?

10. Steve12

He had value simply because of his knowledge of the defensive system. But since they're changing the system, he's really expandable.

11. SRW

And his knee is shot plus he's going to be 35 next year. Does he even have enough to make it through an entire season?

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

There has been talk of him coming to Dallas. Although the link has been Marinelli, and Marinelli is the DL coach, not the LB coach

13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

^^This^^

^^This^^ (& I know you meant expendable. :icon_smile:)

& also the injury that's been plaguing him for years that the knee/hamstring issues has pushed off the radar a bit...his back. Being a large safety in his youth & relying on his speed has had him always running more straight up that the typical MLB while taking the impact more on his back. That's not been getting better, just degenerating.

He should be saying his goodbyes in the near future...

14. Steve12

Yea I meant expendable. Screw Swype. Lol.

15. SRW

It's time for this warhorse to go off into the sunset.