Behind Enemy Lines: Cowboys To Draft Johnny Manziel?

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by cmilian, May 1, 2014.

1. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

We are currently one week away from the 2014 NFL Draft, and there are lots of rumors circulating around the League. The Redskins’ arch rival, the Dallas Cowboys, are said to have an intense interest in Texas A&M star Quarterback Johnny Manziel. This doesn’t come as a surprise, because Manziel was a hot commodity before […]

Read the whole post here.

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Very strong chance IMO. And believe would be a Stephan Jones move, not a Jerry Jones move. Stephan is the one smitten with Manziel and he has more control over personel then Jerry

I think any strong interest has alot to do with Romos back. Alot of the commentators and fans saying we need defense to much to draft a QB high dont realize we have a 34 year old QB coming off 2 back surgeries in a year. With his arm strength already in a noticeable decline, Romo could very well be this years Matt Shaub.

Another high ranking QB they have showed some interest in is Jimmy Garappolo

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    Omen likes this.
  3. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

I agree with you. However, if Jerry Jones wants Manziel (and he wants him bad), then he will get him, and the rest of the staff really can't do much about it. They can ignore his request to draft Manziel, but at the risk of losing their jobs. If Johnny Football falls and Dallas is in range to make a trade, what will they have to give up to get him? I think they would be better off going with someone in the second round. If they trade for Manziel and he busts, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

4. Jihad Joe

It's not Jerry that wants Manziel. He may like him to an extent, but Jerry draft Manziel with Romo on the roster. Thats a popular misconception. Its Stephan. Go back and find an interview Stephan gave in February around combine time where Stephan gushed over Manziel. And the reason that could be important is that nowadays its Stephan not Jerry making the call on draft.

In fact its Stephan making the personel desisions now. Jerry never would have Ware. He's too sentimental

5. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

You're wrong JJ.It's Omen making the picks,that's his new job in Texas!

Omen likes this.
  6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Said that jones would go after johnny football in january because of the money he could make off of him off the field,and that is what is gonna happen.

Aussie61 likes this.
  7. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Bayless says the Texans would be crazy to skip over Manziel. Then again it's Bayless.

8. Jihad Joe

Interesting note. Dallas was looking to bring back Anthony Spencer AFTER the draft. They resigned him two weeks ago. Bryan Broaddus, whom if you dont know is a very well respected former scout and now a writer at the Cowboys official site, says he doesnt think Romos back last two years.

I think something may have happen in the past 3 regarding Romos back

9. Jihad Joe

God I love all the conspiracy theorys around draft season!

Some people hate it. I love the reading between the lines and trying to figure how its all gonna play out

Aussie61 likes this.
  10. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

It's all part of the excitement, Joe. The next few days can't go by any quicker!

11. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

Think they may trade back or pick Jadeveon Clowney and wait to get their Quarterback in the second round.

12. Jihad Joe

I see the Texans going Clowney and then Mettenberger. Then I see Jacksonville going Garapollo and Oakland going Savage.

I think Bortles slips to the Vikings, Dallas getting Manziel, wheather its at 16 or trading up to 9 with Buffalo (who wants to trade down), Arizona going Carr with Cleveland getting the steal of the draft with Bridgewater at 26

The QBs seem to be sliding, and I think a strong 2nd round class couple with a first round class without a true top 5 talent is the reason. I think teams are going to be less likley to reach for a QB high. Right now it lookes like Bortles and Manziel are the only legit top 10 picks

13. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

Out of Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles, I think Bridgewater could be the most pro-ready Quarterback. He hangs tight in the pocket and makes some difficult throws. If the Browns got Bridgewater at #26, that would most definitely be the steal of the Draft, not sure if all that craziness happens, though. If I were a part of the Texans organization, I would be trying to fool the Cowboys into falling for a mega trade for Manziel.

14. Jihad Joe

There is absolutely no way Dallas would trade up that high for Manziel or anyone. Dallas has never traded up more then 8 picks in the first round under Jones. They had a trade up opportunity to get Calvin Johnson and passed because it would have cost them their #1 and Ware. The highest I could see them trading up to is 9.

Bridgewater is sliding due to his frame, his hand size and his ability to throw without gloves. Both Bruger and Rang at CBS have him going in the 2nd. I do agree that he could be a huge steal at the back end of the 1 or early 2nd, but he probably has a bigger bust potential then Manziel and Carr. He is potentially a guy who could be like Bradford and Locker, umable to stay healthy. Could that with the fact his small hands mean he is a threat to turn the ball over every time he takes an NFL sack. He's very risky

15. Jihad Joe

I wouldnt take Bridgewater over Manziel

16. cmilian

cmilian 2nd String

I'm not sure that I would, either. All of these Quarterbacks have certain qualities that are liked around the NFL, but none of them are sure-fire picks. I am expecting that Manziel goes first out of the bunch, though.

17. Jihad Joe

Naw I think its gonna be Bortles. Less for teams to worrt about, and IMO a better overall prospect. Bortles can come in and play very well, albiet in a Matt Stafford rookie season way and grow. Manziel can thrive as a rookie too, but he'll do so because a team may taylor a system to hide him. That would help him immediately but hurt him in the long run. He needs to sit and learn the pocket, and I think thats gonna drop him behind Bortles

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Looks to me like you're headed towards being the guest of honor at a cookie party in the near future, then. I could be misreading between the lines, but I doubt it.

19. Jihad Joe

Im rarely right.

Dez Bryant. That was it. Called that one. Nothing else has gone my way since

20. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I would have Bridgewater any day! Manziel is my pick to be the bust of the draft,so many things wrong with his game,and he's smaller than Teddy! If Bridgewater is there at #8 I think the Vikings will think long and hard about taking him.I'm not high on Bortles either,he's no higher than a second round pick.