Ben Rothwell Received A Nine Month Suspension From The UFC For Elevated TRT Levels

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by DontKnowMe, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Ben Rothwell tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone following his victory over Brandon Vera on Aug. 31 at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee in a heavyweight bout at UFC 164.

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."

Source: Yahoo.com

DontKnowMe's Take:

2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

This is dumb. He communicated the whole way through the process. If they're going to possibly suspend for elevated levels, then why allow TRT at all?

3. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

He was above the allowable limit or something.