Bills TE Derek Schouman Refuses To Sit Tight

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bills' started by Stinger75, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

When you're a former seventh-round draft choice who had to claw your way onto an NFL roster, you're constantly in prove-yourself mode. So it goes with Derek Schouman, as he starts his third season in Buffalo. "Expectations? I have none as far as statistics," Schouman said. "I've never been a statistics guy, and I never will be. You've got to have them. Statistics equals production. But I need to do more than catch passes. If I get caught up in that, I'll lose focus on the other things I need to do to help this offense." "Derek's a really solid player," Bills Coach twinky Jauron said. "He's had an outstanding camp, and again we're hoping that that just translates to the season when it counts. He's got good balance, he's low to the ground and he can catch the ball. I think he's got some run-after-catch ability. He's got some power. He's not a giant tight end, but he's got some power. He's got some explosion to him and he'll battle you. He's a tough guy." The Bills have used Schouman split out in the slot a bit this preseason. Expect that to continue. Last year, Robert Royal was the tight end split to the outside, not Schouman.

Source: The Buffalo News