Brewers Agree To Deal For Sabathia

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by burnout2oo7, Jul 6, 2008.

1. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Milwaukee gets the biggest name on the market for their top prospect, Matt LaPorta (batting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 Double-A games), and two of their lower level prospects. They give up their best prospect, but overall, it's a pretty small price to pay for one of the best pitchers in the league. With Sheets scheduled to be a FA after this season (and Sabathia as well) and Fielder possibly on the move in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the Brewers go after some of the other big names out there like Brian Fuentes or Matt Holliday.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3475749&categoryId=2378529"]Sources: Indians Agree To Deal Sabathia - ESPN Video[/ame]

2. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Wow, damn this is bad news for my Cardinals. I don't want to see him as often as I will in the NL Central.

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

They better hope they can sign him for after this season. The front end of their rotation is pretty stacked now though.

4. burnout2oo7

They'll have to choose between him and Sheets. I guess with Sheets injury history, they'll go after CC.

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Texting this news to Fez...I hope he doesn't have a heart attack :icon_cheesygrin:

6. DawkinsINT

With what they're giving up for Sabathia, he should totally be their target.

7. burnout2oo7

Is Fez a Brewer fan? And how long until you guys send us Bedard, TJ? We're getting impatient here.:icon_mrgreen:

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Fez is an Indians fan...mostly because of Sabathia. He used to say that if a fat-ass like C.C. has a chance in life, then he has one too :lol:

We'll give you the back-up catcher who pitched today in the 15th inning if you want him :icon_rolleyes:

9. burnout2oo7

They really didn't give up all that much for him. LaPorta was a great prospect, but they have braun and Hart in the outfield and nowhere to put LaPorta. The other two are prospects, but ones they were willing to part with. Milwaukee underpaid and got the deal they wanted. If they fail to sign Sabathia, they can very well replace what they lost in the trade with the two 1st round draft picks they get.

The scary part is the Brewers still have two top prospects (who would be useless to them in the Majors with their current starters) to use as trade bait.

10. burnout2oo7

Actually, he can't be worse than Ruiz, so yes. I'm dead serious, too.

11. DawkinsINT

I meant it as more in the general sense of giving up players for someone with no further contract beyond the current year. I personally don't see them as a World Series team. Giving up prospects that could be used in trades for long term trades later makes more sense than just doing it for one year out of Sabathia now. Their end goal must be to sign him further.

Know what I mean?

12. burnout2oo7

I see what you're saying. GMs don't like to make that rental trade unless they know they can sign the player long-term, because of how unlikely it is to payoff in a short two months. However, in this case, I think this could have been one of the rare times where a GM doesn't think about the long-term, but simply this year. They've got a healthy Sheets for the first time in a long time and possibly for the last time. I have a feeling the Brewers GM is going with a "World Series or Bust" mindset.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

If they don't get Sabathia back next season and don't win the pennant, giving up LaPorta could be a HUGE mistake. He's a stud!

14. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

It's a trade the Brewers need to make to show they are for real about contending but I'm not sure it really helps them that much. Sheets is due to get hurt again so at the very least CC helps make up for that loss. :icon_cheesygrin:

15. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Sabathia could easily tank

16. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

And good news for the White Sox, lol.

17. Bears 88

Bears 88 FTW

Deal is official. Great deal for the Brew Crew.

18. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

19. Banyaaz

Banyaaz Video Drone

Imagine the buffet line after the brewers games now.....first CC then Prince...does anyone else get any food after the games??????:icon_smile: :icon_cheesygrin:

20. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

so it begins the freaking firesale of the cleveland indains mother heckers are never willing to spend money