Broncos Put WR Brandon Marshall On Trade Market

Discussion in 'Denver Broncos' started by Sweets, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

As the Broncos try to put another late-season swoon behind them, they will do so without Brandon Marshall in their plans. The Broncos will attempt to trade Marshall in March with hopes of getting decent value in return, according to four NFL sources. Tight end Tony Scheffler, who like Marshall was dismissed from participating in the Broncos' 44-24 loss Sunday to the Kansas City Chiefs, also will be placed on the trading block. "I thought I played the best I could," said Scheffler, who took a more wistful departure from the Broncos' locker room, as if he wanted to take one last long look around. "If that's not good enough, then I think there are a lot of opportunities elsewhere."

Source: Denver Post

2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

straight trade for Roy Williams

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i'm thoroughly confused about this situation. everyone keeps saying the broncos are going to trade marshall but everything i can find says marshall is an unrestricted free agent. that means he is not under contract with the broncos since their season is over.

how can a team trade a player who is not under contract? :word03:

4. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

He's just finished his fourth season so I believe he's a restricted free agent. No doubt the Broncos will tender him but at a much lower value than if they wanted to keep him.

5. As of now, Marshall is technically a Unrestricted Free Agent. If there is no agreement on a new CBA by this spring, he along with 200+ Wide Receivers in the same situation will now become Restricted Free Agents.

In that case, its likely he'll get the First & Third Round tag.

6. Flacco2MasonTD

Flacco2MasonTD ಠ_ಠ

We'll take him!

1 person likes this.
  7. Texxx

Texxx Special Teamer

Shoot, The Ravens are one of the cheapest organizations I swear. They had ever opportunity to go after Marshall early on in the season and they wouldn't pull the trigger. INstead they left Flacco out there all season long with no WR's to throw to other than an over the hill Mason. I'll never understand Newsome and his anti WR approach. It's really frustrating to see a GM do this year after year to his team especially when they finally get a pretty good QB that needs some weapons. If I were Ray Lewis I would have snitched my butt off in last off season when the Ravens failed to address their WR issues once again.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Ted Ginn, Joey Porter, and a 3rd for him.

9. Texxx

Texxx Special Teamer

If I were any team, I would not give up completely what Marshall is worth talent wise. He may be a great WR, but he's also great at getting into trouble with his team, with the NFL, and with the law as well. He's already got one more incident to where he'll be sitting out for 8 games on any given season and then it will be a full year if he does anything after that. Plus, he's had a ton of internal issues with the Broncos staff where he was punting balls around at practice.

Marshall is one of those WR's that will always have some sort of problems around him where he'll be a distraction to his team. I said it before this season to Broncos fans and they ignored me and then Marshall was suspended from the team and then when he came back in good graces and Broncos fans jumped back on his band wagon I told them he would do something again before long, and whaddaya know, he was benched for the last game of the season. His nick name was baby TO, and unfortunately he's like TO in more ways than what you would want.

10. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Marshall with the right set of coaches could be very good. With an unstable coaching situation and you're 100% correct Texxx.

11. Texxx

Texxx Special Teamer

Shanny had a very stable coaching staff and Marshall got into all types of crap and got suspended. Him and Shanny got along great. It's not that he hasn't been good or great. He has been that. It's the risk of him being out for 8 games and the distraction it causes a team when they're counting on him being there as their play maker and then all of the other distractions that comes with him sooner or later. The guy is a head case. There will always be a lot of head cases at the WR position. It's one of the worst positions in all of sports as far as pre Madonna players that think of themselves and will cause problems for an organization. Marshall is by far one of the worst in the entire league and he's only played for like 4 seasons now. He's right there under TO and Larry Johnson and slightly above Chad Johnson. He isn't going to all of a sudden change for the good and become a good guy for the remainder of his career anywhere. He'll behave for a while with a change of scenery and tell everyone that is just what he needed and sooner or later he'll have some issue off the field or with his coaches or something. He's had way to many issues at this early point in his career for anyone to doubt that.

12. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Seems Shanny and his staff had several guys like that. Maybe it just seemed like it though. Not like I can name 4 or 5 like you could with the Raiders and Ravens in the day.

13. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

My sentiments exactly.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Everything's out the window without a new CBA. It move from 5 to 6 years and there's an extra tag...

15. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

ok, i understand marshall could go from a UFA to a RFA if there is no CBA. however, if a team DID sign him as a RFA and gave up a 1st and 3rd, it technically wouldn't be a 'trade', the broncos would just be 'letting him go' and getting draft picks by letting him go. am i right or would it technically be called a 'trade'?