Browns Defensive Coordinator Rob Ryan Unlikely To Be Retained

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is under contract, but it doesn't look like he'll be part of Pat Shurmur's new staff, Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer tweets. The Browns were a middle-of-the-pack defense under Ryan in 2010, which was an upgrade from previous campaigns. We would think that the Browns would want a DC like Ryan who are comfortable making all the calls on that side of the ball, as Shurmur is an offensive-minded coach. Ryan won't have trouble finding another job.

Source: RotoTimes

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  2. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

I think a few teams will be looking at this guy

3. He could be a play in San Diego if Norv Turner fails to land Dave Wannstedt.....

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Dallas check him out see what he has to say

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

wow why would Cleveland let him go? I think he's a good defensive coordinator.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Would be a mistake for the Browns. Their defensive players love this guy and really buy into his system. Would not be a smart move for the Browns. I like it.

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Just read that the dallas cowboys are meeting with him tomorrow ......guess jason garret and Jerry are reading my post

8. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

glad the donks didnt hire him lol

9. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Stupidest decision ever....dude is going to be a head coach in a few years how do you NOT keep this guy around as long as you can?

10. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

How many fourth quarter leads did his 22nd ranked D cough up? God I hope the Cowboys hire him

11. Dragonite

How many D coordinators could have possibly done the same thing he did with a Cleveland Browns team that does not have very good defensive players. And kept that defense going after they lost their D Leader Scott Fujita.

He was doing a lot of things right with a defense that is frankly not that good. Anyone who gets him and has more pieces than the Browns will be picking up a good coach. I also predict the Browns go back to 28th in defense.

12. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Time will tell but as a browns fan I'm not sheding many tears to see him go.

13. Dragonite

As a Cleveland native, I know that Browns fans are so used to watching coaches come and leave they are probably completely immune to it by now. I want Rob Ryan to succeed if only to take the spotlight away from his more annoying brother.

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

That. Will never happen

15. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I was alot more bummed to see Mangini go then Ryan. If they won't retain Mangini for stabilities sake then I'm fine with a new staff of coordinators for Shurmur

16. Dragonite

They need a coach who lasts more than 2 seasons. Mangini was NOT a bad coach but no coach in Cleveland gets long enough to see their vision come to fruition.

I hope the Browns have a good playoff season in the next 3 years, does anyone really believe the Browns in the playoffs is NOT a good thing for football, and if getting rid of Rob makes that happen I support it, I just feel like they should have kept him and Mangini at least one more year.

17. Dragonite

They need a coach who lasts more than 2 seasons. Mangini was NOT a bad coach but no coach in Cleveland gets long enough to see their vision come to fruition.

I hope the Browns have a good playoff season in the next 3 years, does anyone really believe the Browns in the playoffs is NOT a good thing for football, and if getting rid of Rob makes that happen I support it, I just feel like they should have kept him and Mangini at least one more year.

18. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

See, that's what Holmgren and Heckert are doing. There was already talk of him getting a HC job, and if you're already transitioning in staff, why not move on? As much as I love the guy, renting him for one season doesn't make any sense when trying to stabilize an organization. It actually seems counter productive since he wasn't a legit candidate for the Browns HC. Get it out of the way now and get a staff that gels together completely.

19. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Browns will continue to improve simply because they have people drafting who know how to build a solid squad. And IDK how much Browns football you watched, but that defense played like crap once Fujita was out. They gave up tons of points and forgot how to tackle, tell
    me that isn't partly the DCs responsibility, not to mention their spirit being deflated. Ryan is a solid defensive coach but he has a way to go before his defense should be mentioned in the same breath as his brother's.

20. Dragonite

They played much worse I agree, but they were still in games and if the offense could have put up points they might have gone 8 and 8 or even 9 and 7. Some of it falls on Rob Ryan, but any defense is going to get worse after they lose their captain...the offense was just terrible.