Browns May Trade Down From The Fourth Pick

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by Sweets, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Browns general manager Tom Heckert at the NFL owners meeting stressed again "We're fine with Colt McCoy as our quarterback,'' according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Heckert said, "There's no way'' the Browns will trade up to No. 3. "There's five players we really like." He also said he's already had a few feelers at owner's meetings about teams interested in No. 4 but "It's still really early.''

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Good leave Clayborn for us.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I'm fine with Claiborne, and I love a trade. Either way this is a win of it happens in my book.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

if someone has a hard-on for blackmon, i could see it happening............. no one is going to trade that far up for a RB or CB though ...............

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I could see Claiborne too, I just doubt it actually happens. Dude is a real nice corner though.

6. CaptainStubing

yeah, maybe the corner ............. definitely not the running back though............ from now on, with the rule changes, i will laugh my butt of at any team that wastes a top 10 pick on a running back

7. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

If any team wants to trade up to number 4, I think it'd have to be real cheap.

8. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

If there are 5 players they really like, that means they can trade down to 8.
    Dolphins trading up for Tannehill or Rams trading up for Blackmon?
    Either way, for the second year in a row, the Browns will be shaping the first round of the draft.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Not if its a Chan Gaily offense, and not if its Richardson. An elite HB is invaluable in that scheme

Sent by HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

10. CaptainStubing

i disagree. HB's are a dime a dozen in that scheme. there are plenty of guys that can be successful in that system. wasting a high draft pick on one is laughable.

in general, the days of RB's being one of the highest paid/highest drafted positions are over in this league. Where they will be most valuable is with a team that doesn't have a good passing game, but, even with that, the position just isn't what it once was.

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

A great running back is worth it in my opinion. Guys like Frank Gore and Arian Foster are freaks on the field I would give up an earlier draft pick to get a player like them.

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Running backs are a dime a dozen. Arian foster wasn't even drafted. Wasting a high pick on a running back is completely out of date now.

13. Dragonite

A dime a dozen? Really? I can name like 5 actual ELITE running backs off the top of my head. I personally would take an elite running back with a high pick, they are worth every penny. The skill set and what they bring to the team, clock management, touchdowns. You don't always need to have Drew Brees to win games some times you need a RB and a sick D.

14. Steve12

Yea you're right because Adrian Peterson, Frank gore, Arian foster, Matt forte, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones Drew, etc all have too many rings to count. Right?

The only time any if them was close to a ring was when the Vikings had Favre.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I've been saying this a little while now. It's a passing league and a league of RBBC. Sure there are a few here and there that are "old school" every down backs, but the days of the Barry Sanders in first round are long gone. Since 2005 , these are the backs taken in the Top-10 in Round 1:

Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, CJ Spiller, Knowshon Moreno?

I may have missed one or two...

FAR from impressive. Other than Adrian Peterson, any one of those guys would be gladly traded away for a Top-10 pick at any point in their career...

16. CaptainStubing

as ward and steve are discussing, running backs are simply becoming 'complementary' pieces of an offense, instead of the centerpieces.

with the evolution of offensive schemes, along with the rule changes through the years, very few teams run the ball to set up the pass anymore ........... it's now the opposite ........... teams pass to set up the run.

It has never been easier to plug any random running back into an offense and have success because defenses are now built and focused on containing the passing games. there's a reason the overall yards per carry for the league has steadily increased for many years and has never been higher. Last season hit 4.3 ypc for the league, a record, and several teams that supposedly have 'elite' running backs got just as much production out of their back-up RB's.

17. Steve12

Exactly. The rules have made running backs basically an afterthought. Now you need big time receivers. Just look at the bears. One of the best running backs in the game, a pretty good defense, decent qb, fantastic special teams, and they can't win consistently because they have crap receivers which means no passing game.

I think were getting a little off topic though. This isn't a running back draft position thread. Lol.

18. Dragonite

Matt Forte got hurt down the stretch and cost the Bears a chance at the playoffs.

Teams like Cincy tried to switch from a ground and pound offense that got them to the playoffs to an Aerial Assault under Carson Palmer and they went from playoff team and sweeping the division to dead last.

There are teams that win games because of their running game maybe they aren't considered first round value anymore but if I was building a team I would want one of the few elite backs left in this league to be on my team.

19. CaptainStubing

corrected your quote

20. Dragonite

So did Matt Forte, and they were still a playoff team when Cutler was hurt. I believe the Forte injury hecked them up.