Browns To Offer RB Peyton Hillis An Incentive-Rich Contract

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Mar 11, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

As reported by Kevin Zoul of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns are expected to offer RB Peyton Hillis an “incentive-rich contractâ€￾ while he tests the open market. The Browns have made it known that they’ll allow Hillis to field offers from other teams in order to establish a more reasonable price tag However, Zoul adds that the Browns have offered Hillis a contract that would have paid him “$16 million over the first three yearsâ€￾ This report does not surprise most, as Hillis is coming off a season that was plagued by injuries which hampered his overall production. Allowing Hillis to receive offers from other teams will make it easier for the Browns to offer him a deal closer to fair-market-value which is essentially what he’s looking for.

Source: NFL Trade Rumors

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Please take it and make this simple for us.. Heckert, Holmgren and Shurmur have way too many things to deal with in this offseason.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eh, i don't know how i feel about $16 mill over the first 3 years ........... seems like it might be a little low ........... Hillis shouldn't be making top RB money but he should be in that 2nd tier ............

maybe if the browns could throw in a couple mill more, it would be done.

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

He needs to take this deal and play his butt off.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

If there's incentives beyond that 16, that's plenty of dough for his circumstance

6. Dragonite

He doesn't "deserve" crap after last years bullcrap. He was contemplating retiring from his team in the middle of the season right? He deserves a 2nd chance to show he can still dominate.

7. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

EVERY contract should be like this. A base salary and incentives out the butt. a LOW base salary!

8. Dragonite

Why? People who worked their butt off for years and played hard deserve to get paid. Drew Brees deserves his paycheck now, not based on performance. Especially in the NFL where you could be cut in a heartbeat, or injured on one hit. If you played out your rookie contract every day hard and pushed yourself to the limit than got a low salary contract and got injured the first year with real money you'd be pissed.

If you don't perform you don't deserve the money, but players who play hard do.

Peyton Hillis does not.

9. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Are you accusing Peyton Hillis of not playing hard? The dude is a banging RB he got hurt, lay off. In my opinion this is the kind of contract he needs, the guy's a beast but as we have seen he takes a lot of wear and tear on the body and had a great season, but failed to follow it up with another one, 1 year wonder? I guess we'll see.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Peyton Hillis definitely put forth a half butt effort last season and took games off where he didn't have to. He shouldn't get a guaranteed contract...

11. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Special Agent Hillis must be Republican because he's been getting hecked by the media. When he was healthy he ran his butt off. The market will set his value. Incentives should get it done.

12. Dragonite

I agree with Ward last season he just wasn't trying at all half the time. He took games off and contemplated retiring to join the CIA in the middle of a season...wtf?

13. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

He's denied any truth to that story. And I trace his trouble back to the line being terrible from the preseason due to Steinbach's injury. Working out tonight I tried to imagine what it would be like to try running the ball in his punishing style with a crapty hamstring. Seems like it would suck quite a bit.

14. Dragonite

I'm not saying hes a bad back. I would sign him. Just not for more than an incentive laden contract.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

How does one explain him deciding not to play when he had strep throat? That's one of the big criticisms against him last season...

16. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

It was on advice of the same agent who supposedly leaked the CIA agent story after he got fired. Not saying he couldn't have played, but nobody at the time, doubted he was actually sick.