Browns WR Donte Stallworth To Serve 30 Days In Jail

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by MediaGuy, Jun 16, 2009.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

who cares if he "contemplated" driving drunk and killing a man. the fact is he did it and our justice sytem failed.

dawk you miss the point, it's not about comparing these two cases in particular, it's about how hecked up the justice system is as a whole and how some get off serving less time if any for a crime that did more damage. there is ZERO ignorance in using vick as an example of someone who got what he deserved compared to someone else who comitted a far more heinous crime.

again my point is about how the justice system can be manipulated if you have the right attorney and if there isnt such a public outcry. that's not ignorance, that's reality.

stallworth should have never been able to plea down like he did. it's a joke.

2. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Justice should for sure.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

It gets better. Just saw on ESPN2 Stallworth will be doing 24 days. 1 day time served and Florida allows for 1 day for each month past. Do I hear 14 days?

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think some of you are unaware or forgetting that Stallworth had a chance to totally beat the manslaughter charge and just get pinned with a DUI. The man was crossing the street illegally. His lawyers could have certainly made a strong case that Reyes death was more of his own actions than Stallworth's.

It would have been a long and expensive trial that could have resulted in nothing for the Reyes family.

This plea works out for all three parties:

Stallworth: Much less prison time than if he lost on the manslaughter charge in court.

Reyes family: Sooner time to move forward, Stallworth has been punished (he got hit hard for the penalties other than prison time), and they got a lot of money.

Miami-Dade County: They save tons of money by the lack of a long trial.

5. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

They had a family member taken away from them. They didn't choose the exchange. After the loss, the choice becomes money or nothing.

For everybody else (except Dawk who's dead on in this case) I've said it in a previous post. Stallworth's case has mitigating factors. He didn't lie about it (like Mike Vick), he didn't try and hide anything (like Mike Vick), and most importantly he didn't PLAN it (like Mike Vick). It was just as likely that they spent a ton of money on the trial and he got off with nothing. Yes, that still means our justice system is hecked. But not because he got less time than Michael Vick.

6. BarlOwens

BarlOwens Rubicon Runner

absolute bullcrap...freaking dogs are somehow more important than human life....

our court system is a crock of crap...

7. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

the real injustice is the fact that a rich man bought himself out of trouble.
    if any one of us poor people was in Dontes situation, we would be heading to jail.

8. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

His two year house arrest should be in the house of a 58 year old construction worker, not a 28 year old NFL player.

9. DawkinsINT

He is in jail.

10. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

28 days in jail for killing someone is a joke

11. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Even worse than the 24-28 days in jail is his lifetime ban on obtaining a driver's license.

12. DawkinsINT

I know. I was messing with ya. :icon_mrgreen:

13. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

do you really feel like justice prevailed Dawk?

14. DawkinsINT

Yes and no. I certainly feel that he should have had to do more time in jail, at least 6 months.

At the same time he's paying some really heavy penalties with everything else he was hit with. I truly feel that he is remorseful. He dialed 911 at the scene, voluntarily took the breathalyzer, didn't lie, and has been totally cooperative. I don't think of him as a murderer, but as someone who made a huge mistake with disastrous results. With the circumstances involved he could have fought the manslaughter charge and possibly gotten no jail time at all.

I feel with the character he's shown in this, that he's extremely sorry and it will haunt him mentally and emotionally the rest of his life. To me, that's worse than any prison time could ever be.