Bruce Allen Confident Redskins Didn’t Mortgage Future For No.2 Pick

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by SRW, Mar 10, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Redskins general manager Bruce Allen on Saturday night reveled in the afterglow of Friday’s blockbuster trade, expressing confidence he and coach Mike Shanahan did not endanger the team’s future in trading three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis for the second-overall pick in this year’s draft. “We understand it was a heavy price,†Allen said at a Washington hotel at which he was attending a banquet. “But you when you bought your home, you probably wanted to pay a little less, too, but you like your home once you live in it.†The Redskins‘ ascent to second in the draft order positions them to draft one of two highly-touted quarterback prospects: Stanford’s Andrew Luck or Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III out of Baylor. Allen would not say whether the Redskins prefer one or the other. Indianapolis is widely believed to be targeting Luck with the first overall pick. “Clearly we fell in love with two players,†he said. “We believe one of those players will be a great Redskin.â€

Source: Washington Times

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Well you're dumb because thats exactly what happened

3. jarhd1775

jarhd1775 Special Teamer

LOL bitter Browns fan. By the way, Cleveland offered the same as the Redskins, the Rams decided 2 go w/ Skins offer based on relationship w/ Shanahan.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nothing Danny can't fix through Free Agency for a couple seasons...right?

I think with how "cheap" the draft picks are going to cost now, we might see stuff like this more often...

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Why would I be bitter? I'm very happy Wash mortgaged their future for him because it keeps Cleveland from doing so. And any use of logic says mortgaging the future is exactly what they did, so what he said was stupid. I'm not sure what your issue is here.

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

It's funny actually that his comment was so unknowingly dumb. To say you didn't mortgage the future (to keep using that phrase), then immediately comparing it to buying a house? Really? Because you sure didn't buy that crap (Griff) with cash you had on hand. That's the idea, and that's why this is stupid.

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Its ok if rg3 dont work out they could always bring mcnabb out of retirment lol

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

only time will tell how good RG3 will be. People would soon forget anything the skins gave up if RG3 goes out and wins them a super bowl.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree captain. It's hard to say either way at this point whether the deal is "good" or "bad." However, I agree with most of the opinions out there that the Redskins gave up too much. I wouldn't have done it, but I'm not going to criticize them yet for it. In this day and age, they can fill needs on a short or long term basis through free agency if they have the cap room to do so.

10. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

will be interesting to see what those picks are in the future it could also turn out that the rams get some star players with those picks

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, if the Rams can hit on 75% + of their high draft picks over the next couple of years, they will be looking a lot better very quickly.

12. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

just because your team fails to draft consistent qbs that does'nt mean other teams are equally as bad as the browns have been say the last 40 years does it?:icon_cheesygrin:

13. TideRedskinslunatic

they should have a great offense,but unless the D there can turn things around,i don't think they will do much!

14. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Fools result to talking trash rather than arguing a point. You're not even making sense.

15. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Our offence barely puts up 10 points a game the last few seasons...but it's our defence that is holding us back? Fantastic logic.

16. TideRedskinslunatic

when your team actually does something in your lifetime,i'll argue that point with you,until then,you are'nt worthy of an argument!
    until then,i'll be laughing at how pathetic the browns look getting snitch slapped every week like they have the last 40 years!

17. TideRedskinslunatic

go back and check,year before last,they light things up pretty good!reason they sucked last year,lots of injuries and they played soft defense!

18. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

You are talking about the Rams right? If so, you've been watching a different team to the rest of us!

Pat Shurmur's "light up" offence of 2010 was functional at best and at times costed us wins (See Week 2 vs Oak, Week 7 vs TB, Week 10 vs SF) and put a ton of pressure on the defence who would be on the field for the majority of the game.

This year we were screwed by injuries from kickoff yes, but our D still outperformed 10 other teams and still had a legitimate pass rush despite this, whilst our offence ranked 31st in total yards and 32nd in points!

But please, inform me of our crapty D and world class offence! :icon_rolleyes:

19. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Of course Allen would say that. What else is he going to say?:icon_rolleyes:

20. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

It's that sort of terrific logic, intelligence and sportsmanship that's emblematic of how well-respected the Redskins, and I'm sure you in your own life, are.

This dude is a gem