Buccaneers hire Lovie Smith as head coach

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Buccaneers' started by Kurt, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

[​IMG]
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired Lovie Smith as their head coach, after a coaching search that seemed to focus on Smith first, foremost and last.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have swiftly concluded their coaching search by hiring Lovie Smith, as first reported by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports. While the Bucs have not announced the hire officially, the Tampa Bay Times confirms that the team is finalizing a deal with the former Chicago Bears head coach.

Congratulations to the Bucs. I think they made a very good choice in hiring Lovie Smith. Now I'm excited about watching the Bucs next year!

— Tony Dungy (@TonyDungy) January 2, 2014

Lovie Smith spent five seasons with the Buccaneers in the late 1990s as a linebackers coach, helping Derrick Brooks reach his Hall of Fame level play. Smith then moved on to become the St. Louis Rams' defensive coordinator, and became the Chicago Bears' head coach from 2004 to 2012, racking up an 81-63 record and making it to the Super Bowl in 2006 where he lost to Tony Dungy's Colts.

Earlier reports suggested that Lovie Smith would hire former California Golden Bears head coach Jeff Tedford as his offensive coordinator, while Rich McKay, Jerry Angelo and Marc Ross have been named as potential general managers with Lovie at the helm.

Source: Continue reading...

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Knew the Bucsmwere going this route...

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It's a good situation for him, good amount of talent on both sides of the ball. If he can get the defense in shape and Tedford can continue Glennon's progress, they could be a contending team in a short period.

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Word is he is poaching Marinelli from us to be DC. Good hire if that's true

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Yup just read the same thing. That sucks.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

At least lovie should make them respectable again

7. WC Jerome

WC Jerome The poster formerly known as 'MK'!!

I'm happy for Lovie and I wish him the best of luck in Tampa. I really thought he was gonna end up in Dallas, though.