Cam Newton Takes Some Heat For Charging For Autographs

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by markaz, Jul 12, 2012.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton will appear at a mall on Saturday and sign autographs for anyone who has the time to stand in line — and at least $125. Newton is appearing at an autograph session at which he’ll charge $125 to sign a picture, $150 to sign a football and $175 to sign a jersey, with another $50 on top if you want him to personalize it. Newton will be there for two and a half hours, and he could easily sign his name enough times that he and the organizers of the event could bring in more than $100,000. Not bad for an afternoon of work.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
  2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

What a scumbag.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

$125 is a bit much...lol.

4. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

you should want to do autographs to give back to the fans not try to make money off of it but if it was all going to some kind of charity it wouldent be so bad

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I doubt Newton knows how to spell charity dude.

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

lol love it

7. lambertjr

lambertjr FNG

$125? Damn....Hope he doesn't feel too modest about hisself.

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

People are struggling to make ends meet and this douchebag could make upwards of $100K to scribble his name for a few hours? The bigger douchebag may be the butthole that stands in line and shells out the coin.

9. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

his autograph wouldent even sell for 125

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I hope no one shows up

11. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

If it's for charity, it's one thing .but charging that ammount for an autograph? C'mon, Man!

12. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Now has Brees or Manning done this in their home cities? If so, they should be called out on it too. I can understand an event out of state, but charging a large pool of people who are mostly your supporters reeks of simple greed.

13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

That will never happen.

14. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I will laugh if this is a crapty turn out. It's not whether people have the time or not to stand in line and wait to get an autograph. It's really if people feel like paying up the butt or not for an autograph.

15. K Train

just so you know this happens all the time, its because the mall is very controlled and what not compared to training camp where its more like every man for himself.

Emmitt Smith is doing an auto signing coming up and charging $250 to sign a flat item up to a 16x20.

Cam's already super involved in the youth community, this is more of a setting for people who either collect or sell memorabilia and rich people who want to meet celebrities. I remember a few other rookies that have done this, the article plays it up as "the panthers are paying him enough money, he needs more?!?!?!?!"

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

who cares how many others do it ... doesnt make newton any less of a rodstain.

plus emmit smith is charging to support his speech classes.

17. K Train

its not like hes going to be only accepting cash and checks at training camp, this is geared towards memorabilia collectors who will pay it. Its higher end cost for a player of his status, i would have guessed like $50, the cost of $125 should be for like a hall of fame player not a second year player but regardless who the heck cares? if people are willing to pay you to scribble your name on something why not?

Mark ingram did this last year, no one cared then.

18. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

You want to stand in line and hand over $125 for my scribble? Then you sir are an idiot and I will sit there for as long as it takes to bleed everyone one of your wallets dry.

Now, having said that if little Timmy or Sally comes up to me OUTSIDE of a planned signing and asks for an autograph then I would gladly GIVE them one.

19. K Train

im sure cam would too, hes actually really involved in the community, whether its for show or not to make him not look like such a smug pr**k all the time is unknown, but he does do what is expected of him

id like to add that bo jackson and larry johnson are both at this too, but i wanted to add that because i wanted to ask who the heck wants a larry johnson autograph anymore? lol

20. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

[MENTION=1390]K Train[/MENTION] I didn't mean to imply Newton doesn't give autographs to kids in the community. I was just pointing out there's a difference from greedy money hungry buttholes who want to flip the signature into a profit from the casual fan.