Chicago Bears 2014 Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by aschmidt, May 16, 2014.

1. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

With the 2014 NFL Draft now in the rearview mirror, it’s time to break down how the Chicago Bears did. The Bears needed defense in a big way after being last in the NFL in rush defense last season and had to upgrade all over that side of the ball. In the end, Chicago ended up making three great picks out of their first four. Here is a grade on each of those selections. Round 1 (Pick 14)- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech While this pick may be more for the future than the present, Fuller could easily slide into the secondary for the Bears […]

Read the whole post here.

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I'am actually happy with this draft for the Bears. I feel like they filled needs and added depth.

The first three picks (Kyle Fuller, Ego, Ferguson, and Will Sutton) where an area of need for the Bears on defense. Tillman May be on the last legs off his career but I think Kyle Fuller has a damn good teacher to learn from. I like the idea of taking two DTs with back to back picks granted one of them will be a project (Ego Ferguson) for the Bears. Stephen Paea is headed into a contract year and hasn't shown any reason why to give him a new contract. Don't be shocked if Paea is a bubble player who could be cut by the Bears unless he shows something in training camp and preseason.

It's also time the Bears go a different route at back up RB and that is what the Bears are doing with Ka'Deem Caray. Since Forte's rookie year in 2008, they have had other teams leftovers (Kevin Jones, Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, & Michael Bush) to back up Forte. CBS Sports compares Caray to Ahmad Bradshaw which I'm cool with as long as he can stay healthy.

Than the Bears wind up trading into the 4th round to draft Brock Vereen. With what else the Bears currently have on the roster at Safety, don't be shocked IF Vereen is starting week 1.

When the Bears drafted Pat O'Donnell in the 6th round, I was like OK. A punter??? Than I really thought about it and yes, the Bears do need a punter. If O'Donnell makes the team out of training camp, hopefully he is ready for the swirling winds at Soldier Field with him coming from The U.

I'm ok with the 7th round pick (Charles Leno) for depth.

3. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

It was definitely a solid overall draft for the Bears. Now if they can make it work on the field to make the playoffs.