Colts Don't Believe QB Peyton Manning Will Be Ready For Week One

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by BigBlueBruiser, Aug 24, 2011.

1. As insurance in the event Peyton Manning isn't healthy enough to start the season opener, the Indianapolis Colts reached an agreement with veteran quarterback Kerry Collins. Colts sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that while Manning is making some progress since neck surgery and has maintained optimism, the team's hierarchy does not believe he will be ready when Indianapolis opens the season Sept. 11 at Houston. Polian had been talking to Collins, who had announced his retirement earlier this year, for several days before he agreed Tuesday night after getting the green light from his wife. Other quarterbacks under consideration by the Colts were Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger, sources told Mortensen. Since being the No. 1 overall pick in the 1998 draft, Manning has started all 208 regular-season games and 19 more in the playoffs, the second-longest streak for a quarterback in league history behind only Brett Favre, but the recovery from the second operation on his neck in 15 months has been slower than expected. "I have made progress, but I still have some work to do," he said. "When I'm healthy enough, I'll be able to play."

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Mind games.

3. Jake Delhomme?

Yeah.......I rather have talked Kerry or Bulger out of retirement. Or even bring back Jeff George......

4. Chipper10

Didn't Delhomme lead a team to the Super Bowl? Just saying. Either way, it's irrelevant now. Kerry will start if Peyton don't. I still don't buy into this until it actually happens.

5. That was eight years ago.......he has greatly digressed since.

6. Chipper10

As have many options, lol.

7. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU]Agent smith laugh - YouTube[/ame]

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

^^^^lmao. That was funny.

I don't know whether to be surprised if he plays or surprised if he doesn't. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Jake Delhomme?

Colts dont win the division this year with it without Peyton. Texans year...

10. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Johnny Unitas' dead skeleton would have been better than Jake Delhomme. Overall, good sign by Indy.

The Panthers would have won that Super Bowl, if the Pats had been caught Spygating earlier.

11. I think the Colts will now start adding legitimate backup QB's and not have the Jim Sorgi's and the Curtis Painter's behind him.......

Adding Collins is a start.......they got away with not adding one for so long because Peyton was always healthy.

12. nwade06

nwade06 Lions in the Super Bowl!

I honestly doubt he will be ready by week 3 or 4. IMO

13. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Beginning of the end for Peyton?

14. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

I think it's too soon to call it the beginning of the end. But with things like this you never know.

15. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Just put him in to take the first snap then he can kneel or hand off and keep the streak alive.

16. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

if this is real they are ready to go with out him week one with the best chance to win a game

imo hes going to play

17. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

He's never missed a game before in the NFL.... This is huge.. If this injury hampers him beyond week 1, Colts are in trouble.