Colts QB Peyton Manning Could Get Up To $20M Per Year?

Discussion in 'Indianapolis Colts' started by SRW, Jul 11, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

At some point in the next several months, the Indianapolis Colts are expected to make quarterback Peyton Manning the top-paid player in NFL history as owner Jim Irsay is committed to retaining Manning, the league's only four-time MVP. His current contract -- a six-year, $98 million deal signed in 2004 -- expires at the end of the 2010 season. It's possible Manning's new contract won't be finalized until after the season which also happened in 2004 when his rookie contract expired and the team used the franchise tag on Manning, then signed him to a long-term deal. Whatever the NFL landscape is, his new contract could average $20 million a season and include $50 million guaranteed which would leapfrog younger brother Eli as the league's highest-paid player. Eli, the New York Giants quarterback and another Condon client, signed a package in 2009 that averages $16.25 million a season.

Source: Indianapolis Star

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

$20 mill for the best QB in the game makes sense in 2010 .................. $20 mill for the best CB (Revis) or any other position does not ...................

3. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

hes a little old to invest that much in at this point in his career imo

4. CaptainStubing

he's 34 this season. there may not be a salary cap for a couple of years so all they need to do is just front-load the crap out of the contract so that in a few years when he's 36 or 37, he only counts 10 or 15 mill against their cap if he's still playing.

For what he's done for that organization ........ we're talking about a guy that should now be mentioned in any conversation as the best QB ever to play the game .... I wouldn't hesitate to give him $70 mill over the next 2 seasons since they probably don't need to worry about the salary cap. They need to pay the guy for making Irsay a crapload of money over the past 10 years ...........

5. whatadai

whatadai Rookie

He's 34, still at the top of his game, barely gets touched behind his offensive line, isn't on vicodin 24/7 like Favre. I'm sure he could easily last until 40.

1 person likes this.
  6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

The best in the game? Can't say that for sure. Great stats but not many championships. That must mean tha Dan Marino was the best QB. That honor goes to Joe Montana. This comes from someone who saw him kill my Saints.

7. CaptainStubing

well, there are many that would argue that Marino was a better QB than Montana. yes, championships add to a QB's legacy but this is still a team game where the QB depends on the coaches' schemes/play calling and all of the players around him to perform.

How many championships would Montana have won in the 80's if he were the QB for the Buccaneers?

fact is, peyton is a helluva qb and should be in any conversation as the best ever.

8. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

Dan Marion was the BEST. until Brett taken that title.

Buck...what Captn was getting at, was that Peyton "IS" the best QB on the field 2day.

and thats hard 2 argue.

sure Big Ben has 2. Tom has 3. but...Peyton doesnt have a supension coming up. and Tom isnt himself just yet.

so i'd say his is the best QB right now. he is the most consistent QB out there 2day.

9. CaptainStubing

oh, there is no question in my mind that Peyton is the best QB playing right now and should be in any conversation about the best ever with Marino, Montana, Favre, etc.

10. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Peyton deserves this that's for sure.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Manning does deserve this, but will he take the deal? Manning would probably give a discount so that the Colts have room to sign and keep other players without crippling them if a new CBA is in effect.

12. whatadai

whatadai Rookie

He's rich already with all the endorsements and such. If he's smart he'd give a discount so the team could sign some roleplayers around him or better players for that defense. He needs to win some more rings to shut up all those people who bring up that as a factor in him being the best quarterback to play the game.

13. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

:word:

14. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

That is true. Guess I didn't think of it that way. I accept my chastisment:icon_cheesygrin: