Congrats 2008 AL Champs Tampa Bay Rays

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by MediaGuy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

:clap: :clap: :clap: Rep for you sir!:drinks:

2. AlexOvechkin

AlexOvechkin World Champions 2008!!!

Well done Rays, but your season will be over soon... And we'll be World Champions

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

This is going to be one hell of a series AO. Let's have fun with it.

4. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

WOW. HAHAHAHAHA.

Looks like I struck a nerve. Several, perhaps!! god **mn son....the truth can be SO hard to digest sometimes, can't it? I'll rip your lame crap apart a little later. Won't be that hard, but it's dinner time. Be back later, skippy.

5. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Mommy call you down for dindin? I don't have time for anymore of your flaming.

6. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

You call it flaming, anyone else with a baseball IQ over 2 calls it truth. Whatever. You have your lame mommy/daddy jokes and sexual innuendo to fall back on when logic fails you. Which, I'm guessing, happens in your life with alarming frequency.

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Done with you. Anyone with an IQ over 2 knows you bit a bigger dog and you can't win. You seem familiar to me?????

8. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Congrats Rays fans. See you in a couple of nights. :beerchug:

9. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Thanks!!! Congrats to the Phillies, too!!! Should be a great series, despite others' opinions on GIF to the contrary!!

10. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

And, we're out of the gate running. The first of many gems you throw out.

First off, it's not a "rally cry." It's a freaking gimmick. A prop. Tomahawk Chop....War Eagle....Gator Clap....those are rally cry's. Cowbells and ThunderStixs are gimmicks.

No. Get to it now, because what the heck are you talking about? 80,000+ pack Doak every game, so please....try and clarify. Unless you are taking the freaking lame butt route of judging FSU fans by posts on a Internet board. in which case you fall even further into a state of desperation.

Me and about 300 million other people.

In a way? I guess being 100% correct is "in a way." Reeeeeeal tough to get a fanbase when you reach the ALCS. But FACT is, even as recently as September they were still drawing 10,000 people a game. Strong fanbase? I will GUARANTEE YOU come next April, that stadium will be empty. World Series win or not.

Sorry. Nobody knows the capacity of the Trop, since nobody ever goes. Fine. I'll humor you. Of the 40, 473 people there last night, most of them didn't know three players on the team coming out of Spring Training.

Yes. Lets. And while were at it, let's see if you can work in a few more childish insults and name calling, while mixing in a analogy that has no context to the situation. I'm pulling for you. If anyone can, you can!! :icon_cheesygrin:

That's how you try and counter an argument? :icon_thumright:

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Good Lord I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for my nephew to get here on Friday in order to make sense of your post. He's 6 so he should be able to translate that rubbish for me. Again I'm done with your flaming. Go be miserable elsewhere. And stop derailing this thread.

12. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

I don't think I even used one word over three syllables. You need help from a 6 year old to help you with that? LOL.

You may be done with my "flaming" (a stretch to call it that, to say the least) but you can't hide from reality. Which, I'm sure your 6 year old nephew will be able to read to you when he shows up. Enjoy it while you can. In four years Longoria will be playing 3B in Boston and Garza will be throwin a 1 hit shutout in Yankee pinstripes.

It's Baseball Economics 101.

13. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

One can only hope!

14. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

NOT!!!!

He's locked up long-term with the Rays - now THAT'S Smart Baseball Economics 101 by the Rays....:icon_cheesygrin:

15. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Right. I forgot. Baseball recently banned trades.

16. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Why would they trade him? The new ownership has clearly turned the page with this franchise, a la the Bucs when the Glazers took over ownership in the mid-1990s, and realize they have to do the long-term deals to keep their quality players. The owners are clearly aware that Longo is the face of the franchise, and along with the deal they made with Kaz I would be shocked if they threw it all away in a couple of years. Besides, the Yankee's farm system has no where near the quality of talent that the Rays currently have. Who the hell would they trade him for???? Joba and a couple of prospects???? They can keep them....

Longo will be the Chipper Jones of this franchise.....

17. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Why would the Royals trade Carlos Beltran? Why would the Twins (who have a payroll that's even $30M MORE than Tampa's and moving into a new ballpark in 2010) trade Johan Santana? Why would the Florida Marlins gut their entire team, TWICE, after winning the World Series? Why would the Padres be trading Jake Peavy? BASEBALL ECONOMICS.

See? You're proving my point about Johnny Come Lately Rays fans who can't seem to understand even the most basic way that baseball is run. And not for nothing, if they don't get a new stadium in Tampa, the TEAM won't be there in 5 years. Forget about Longoria or Garza.

And if your that naive to be "shocked" if it happens, then, sorry, but naive doesn't begin to say it. The Twins have done it twice, and won two WS. The Marlins have won 2, and done it. The A's have. The Diamondbacks. There are 5-6 mega powers in baseball who are there every year, and then there's a Twins/Marlins/Rays team that every so often sneaks up and makes a run. The fact remains that Tampa plays in the toughest division in baseball. The Yankee's will spend more on one player than the Rays entire payroll. Boston? Toronto? Huge market cities with unlimited money to throw at the best players in the game. The Rays have a nice team with lots of talent and youth, but look at similar teams, like the Twins. That allows you to be competitive at a reasonably high level, but seasons like this come around once a decade.

Take it from a fan of a similar team. Enjoy this year. It's special and won't happen a lot. Because if you think this is a sign of things to come, you're in for a rude awakening.

18. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Look, I understand about the economics of baseball. I not only follow the Rays (since I live an hour away from the stadium, and have been attending games since the dawn of their existence - so I'm not a "Johnny-come-lately" fan) but also a life-long fan of the Braves, hence the Chipper Jones comparison. Stop lumping all of us in the Rays frontrunner fan group.

I KNOW that trades are made. But NO ONE knows who will be traded and when. Not every GM is like Billy Beane, getting rid of all their prized players in a freakin' fire sale every few years. I can't read Andrew Friedman's mind any better than you can. I do agree with you however that they will move this team if a new stadium isn't built, we know that's a given. I guess you can label me naive in that I "hope" they don't trade away Longo or Kaz or C.C. or B.J.....but I do know they all won't be in a Rays uniform forever.

I know that the Rays caught lightning in a bottle this year, much like the Rockies did last year, but trust me that the ownership group that took over in 2006 have improved this team tremendously, and hopefully in the future they won't be annual division doormats like they were the first 10 years of existence.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

General Warning:

Please keep it civil.

20. FSUViking

FSUViking BANNED

Relax. Suedon and I are keeping it more civil and having a better dialog than mush from Fat Albert was.

Well, I just saw that the Jays are going after Manny over on FOXSports. If nothing else, you'll always have Baltimore to kick around. :icon_cool: