Cowboy's Draft Needs And Such....Got Some Players Too

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by Jihad Joe, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

anything released from San Diego I could see us taking a chance on with Wade as our coach.

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im, liking Gilyard due to the fact that he could slip

Im on board with Williams. he doesnt need much in the tank to play here right now. 20 Snaps a game maybe

3. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Jerruh has a trick up his sleeve. He must be interested in some of these big names available. no?

4. Jihad Joe

For what its worth

Cowboys say they plan to be players when free agency hits | Dallas Cowboys News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

We havent been linked to anyone yet, so he could be waiting for the initial wave to pass, as is the norm

Im fully expecting Spears to be elsewhere next year with the tender he got (2nd since 2nd is max for original round)........dont know how I feel about that

5. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Josh Ellis Blog

I like the fact that we haven't been linked to any names. I don't care about the rumors. Just let me know when we've signed someone, or when they are coming to visit. Or when Jerruh hops on his jet and meets with the player.

Spears ain't going anywhere.

6. Jihad Joe

I could see a weak 3-4 team biting. Maybe a team like Denver with a late second

However, I'll jizz my pants if a team like Buffalo or Clevelnad hands over an early second

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

man im like itching to see who JJ goes after............ive kinda gotten used to the fact that he waits a bit before he lets lose

8. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

First name I've seen us being linked to over the past few days. Is Antoine Bethea just a few minutes ago. Not sure what to make of it.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

I think we're going to get lucky when it comes to the draft, because of all the interest Iupati garnered at the senior bowl somebody is going to draft him before us :icon_smile:. One can only hope...

9. Jihad Joe

Because Miles Austin was tendered a 1st and 3rd, Marcus Spears tender is actually a 1st rounder for no other reason that whoever wrote the CBA is a crazed Meth tramp

10. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

So you are upset because......? Nobody will touch him now? And you thought maybe someone might have with the 2nd round tender?

11. Jihad Joe

Ive heard that too.....isnt he a Tampa 2 Safety. Ive heard he has good speed and athleticism (39 inch vertical) but I dot like the thought of giving up picks and money to guys that may or may not be system products

I really hate where we are drafting. I think we are either gona have to trade up for someone like Earl Thomas or trade out, because at 27, I dont think we are gonna get crap for value at where we want to get it, except maybe Pouncey

12. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Compared to last year I love where we are drafting lol. I don't really wanna see us trading out unless we get another deal like what we did with the brownies or bills in drafts past. Go best player available or get a play maker.

Bethea is t2 but can have success in our defense with Sensabaugh beside him being the sideline to sideline safety.

13. Jihad Joe

Supposedly he has sub 4.4 speed and has been to what 2 PB's, and is only 25. There is an upside to it, personally I would rather keep the pick after trading last years first

14. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Well it wouldn't necessarily cost us a 1st round pick if we wanted to go after him. Colts could trade him for a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever they desire.

15. Jihad Joe

Im starting to like Cody at 27 a little bit, more than most Cowboy fans, especially since he shave 16 LBS for the combine

Cody reminds me alot of Ted Washington, who Phillips had in Buffalo. If you add a 360 LBS guy to the rotation, you could essentially have to completely different and possibly equally as effective DL fronts. The one we have had, and one simlar to what Buffalo had when they were get 20-25 sacks a year from the DE's. You could have Cody in the middle and with the space he takes up play Ratliff and Bowen on and even outside the OT like Phillips could do in Buffalo with Smith and Hansen.

You play a team thats weak inside, you can play Rat at NT and attack from the intirior. Play a team with a weak OT set, you can play Cody inside and attack the edge with 3 or even 4 outside rushers

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Ah, good point. For our second I wouldnt mind it. We mogh be kinda hecked if thats what we wanted because a few teams are looking at him

16. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I don't mind Cody, I like him alot better than the last DT that came out of the draft with a similar amount of hype, frame, measureables. Which was Alan Branch. Now mind you he's starting to have a bit of an impact. My biggest issue with Cody is he doesn't have alot of muscle, is he dedicated enough to build muscle? Like even his arms are alot of flab. It would be easy as crap for him to build muscle in the NFL, I mean you'd think that would be a must for him to do first thing after being drafted. The teams thinking about drafting him would discuss this with him prior to drafting him right?

Compared to Branch though it's night and day, Cody is far superior.

I'd much rather go trade up in the 2nd or 3rd round and draft LaMarr Houston, but maybe I'm just a huge freaking happy homer.

But yeah everything you just said makes perfect sense and sounds good.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  17. Jihad Joe

lol, people graviate to there NCAA's teams guy becuase thats who they know. I'd take Tate over Damian Williams simply for the fact that ive watched Tate start 22 games to maybe 5 for Williams

The thing with Cody as opposed to Branch s that branch is a lazy player, whereas Cody is a hussle player. That and the sheer size is why he reminds me alot of Big Ted. I agree with you on the muscle. if he doesnt add muscle, he will never be more that a 30 snap a game guy. He fits well with us IMo because we dont have a need for an immediate starter, but with 4 UFA's in 2011, we probobly gonna need one soon. Plus we have one of the best Strength and conditioning coach;s in the NFL. Its no accident that our guys rarely report out of shape and we have been one of the healthies teams in the NFL for a few years

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  18. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Houston is a different player than almost every other single other defensive tackles we've produced over the years. Okam was a huge prospect at one point, but then had a rough senior year and was exposed. Roy Miller was never projected to be anything more than a middle round pick and was a true nose tackle. None of them have a motor like Houston does. The more tape on him you watch or youtube lol the more you like the guy. And Houston pretty much came out of nowhere this year in terms of being a prospect. He shot up late in the year and has gained a better draft status ever since. Most of all I like his explosiveness and motor, and the fact that he finishes. He could play the NT position in the NFL as he's more of a 3 technique.

I really don't want to spend anytime discussing Tate lol. But I hear what you're saying.

So you think we should draft Cody in the first? Will he still be there? Where do you see him going?

19. Jihad Joe

LOL, ya I know me and you aren't on the same page with Tate, but we'll save that for another day and another thread since he wont be a Cowboy

I think Cody could surprise people particularly after shedding weight for the combine. He could be a Donte Whitnor where he gets drafted and you say WTF. Not that high but considering the amount of 3-4 teams in the NFL now and how weak some of them are on the line, I can easily see him being gone by 20. I think he is a much safe NT prospect that Dan Williams, who kinda reminds me of Shaun Rogers, who;s a flashy NT, but practically worthless anchoring a 3-4 snap in snap out

20. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

I think when this DT draft class is all said and done, somewhere down the line it's going to have about 5 or 6 pro bowlers. That's how good some of these guys are and can be with a little bit of coaching and gym work.