Cowboys Turn Attention To Re-Signing HC Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by DaBears22, Jan 12, 2015.

1. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Jason Garrett will become a free agent of sorts, but he wants to continue as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Asked on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas if he wants to be the team's coach, Garrett said, "Absolutely."

"This is a great organization. I think we really built a football team that we can be proud of, and there are some really good things ahead for this team," he added.

The Dallas station also interviewed Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones later Monday. Stephen Jones said he started working on Garrett's new contract Sunday night and has continued in his work on it on Monday. Re-signing Garrett is the team's top priority, Jones said.

Jerry Jones, meanwhile, said Garrett was "my coach of the year" after Sunday's 26-21 loss to the Green Bay Packers and has continuously throughout the year said he wants Garrett to be the team's head coach for the long term.

ESPN

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

He earned a second contract, I guess...no losing seasons, a trip to the playoffs...and lots of gutsy calls lately...

It's just that....I don't know, I'm still not totally convinced he's good coaching material. He only had success until Jerry hired like two million assistants to run different parts of the team...at this point, I'm not totally sure what Garrett does anymore...

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

not sure there is a rush to re-sign him. not like teams will jump to steal him away IMO. need to focus on the teams upcoming UFA's.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, apparently the Cowboys staff gets to coach a team in the Pro-Bowl, and for it to happen, all the staff needs to be under contract.

If they're rushing everything for the freaking Pro-Bowl, I don't know what to think anymore...

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

oh yeah u heard about that - john fox was the other HC that was supposed to go there.

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

15 in all.

7. ragman

I'm hearing 5 years at $5 million per year as the new deal for Garrett if he signs it. Garrett and Jim Harbaugh have the same agent. A guy named Dunn.

8. smeags

smeags militant geek

he should jump on that.

9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

5 years $30 million. It's a done deal according to ESPN.

That's a lot of dough for one winning season in four tries...

10. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Glad a Cowboys fan said that. Because of his body of work over the three (3) previous seasons (.500) the question of getting canned was only a matter of when. Jerrah keeps him in the fold and everyone, and I mean everyone, saw Garrett as nothing more than Jones' puppet. 12-4, one playoff win and now he's worth $6 million a year for five years? I wonder if Jones is dishing out that kind of money and contract term as a way of him saying "I told you so". Would love to have seen what kind of attention (and contract terms) Garrett would have gotten on the open market.

11. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

In his favor, and I'm sure his agent pointed it out more than once during the negotiations, he never had a losing season. Even as an interim he went 5-3, but the season was lost when he took over.

What concerns me is that he only started getting results when Jerry surrounded him with lots of assistants: Callahan, Linehan, Marinelli, even kept Monte Kiffin as a consultant (I think), I see it as an achievement of the whole staff than just one man.

I don't even think he would've got a Head Coaching offer in the open market. Maybe as an offensive coordinator somewhere...but what the hell do I know...

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Its a what have you done for me lately league, and after a 12 win season, Garrett wouldnt be unemployed long. His rep is high right now. Hes not as good as his rep, but a team would snatch him up based on 2014

13. Jihad Joe

Not the Pro Bowl. They have a 3 day exclusive window before coaches are free to negotiate elsewhere

14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

To that Cowboys' fan who thinks Dallas got the supreme hose job against Green Bay, you'll be happy to know that Garrett now makes $1,000,000 more per season than Mike McCarthy. I guess that makes him better.

15. Jihad Joe

The thing with Garrett is that he is an excellent manager, but a shirt playcaller. He was so so as an OC but not a guy who can manage it as a HC. A big reason for the turnaround this year was bringing in Linehan as OC and having him call plays

16. Jihad Joe

Reality is he really doesnt have any more assistance then anyone else. The difference between now and before is that he has an OC that calls plays and he doesnt do it himself. Because the offense was able to dictate games

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

i wouldnt see garret being unemployed long but i doubt he would be hired as a HC again IMO.

18. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

You are correct. Garrett is and always has been a horrible play caller and that was one of the main reasons they could never get over the hump previously.

I think generally the players like him and respond to him so if they just let someone else call the plays, he will be fine

19. ragman

Marinelli is staying as well. So is Linehan. Callahan is probably gone. Maybe to CLEVE.