Cowboys WR Dez Bryant Shuns Rookie Ritual Of Carrying Veteran's Pads

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by SRW, Jul 25, 2010.

1. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Paddling some rookie for not carrying his turban. :smackBottom:

2. whatadai

whatadai Rookie

All you have to think about is this...do you really want to see number 88 carrying Roy Williams' shoulder pads?

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Having a rookie who's taking your job away carry your crap is supposed to help team unity??? Bullcrap, Roy's pissed and he wanted to use Dez as his whipping boy...again FREAK HIM

1 person likes this.
  4. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

LOL!! Not a Roy Williams fan I see...And yes, things like that (light hazing) are good ways to build team unity. Because when it is all said and done everyone has a good laugh about it. Then guys like Dez do it to the next group of rookies the following year. And like Parcells has always said teaching these young kids some humility early on will be good for them.

And Dez hasn't proven crap yet... He has been out of football for over a year, so lets see what he does before we "anoint" him. Not saying he is a bust or anything like that, but this is the NFL and we have all seen some GREAT talent out of college fall on their face before. just sayin..

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eh, my general feeling is that regardless of whether a rookie is a first round pick or not, he needs to go through the hazing process. there's certain things that teams/veterans put rookies through that most people feel are part of the process and should be done without the rookie feeling too important or special to do them.

6. I'm not defending Bryant's actions but he does have a point in saying that he's there to win championships, not carry pads.

Dez signed a contract to play football with the Dallas Cowboys organization, nowhere in the contract does it say he has to carry pads. It takes guts to stand up a vet and refuse to carry his pads. Gotta admire a guy for that.

Williams should be more worried about his job security than Dez not carrying his pads. Things like this should be kept in-house and not aired out publicly.

7. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

This was pretty harsh for Roy to do on the first day of practice. He shouldnt of done that in front of everybody. if it was in the locker room that would be a little different. still wrong but not as many people would see it

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Ok different POV. The other rookies see this and follow suit, now you have a locker room divided between rooks and vets. How on earth can that be good? Or.....the other rooks see this and get embarrassed on and off the field by the vets, and Dez doesn't. Now you have Dez against the rooks and vets.

It's a no win situation. He needs to fall in rank like the rest of his new teammates.

9. All Dez has to do is to earn his stripes on the field by being productive and this will go away soon enough.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

*fixed.

Good leadership and nice attitude. Probably why the Chargers go 13-3 every year and bow out of the playoffs early...lol.

^this.

Ultimately, Bryant's gotta understand that he's a rookie and there is stupid crap that he's going to go through during camp. Just freaking do it. I love that he's telling them to heck off though.

Williams should worry more about retaining his job, maybe step up and show he's a leader on the Cowboys. Maybe help the younger guys. Williams has been in the league for what? 6 years? Grow up dude...let the younger guys meddle with the bull-crap. I don't recall ever hearing Jerry Rice or Tim Brown making some rook carry their crap. Instead they were helping the younger guys.

11. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

It all comes down to Williams doing it because his job is in jeopardy...Parcells telling rookies to do something is quite different IMO than Roy Williams, and you're right Agent Zero I'm soooooooooooooo NOT a Roy Williams fan but he could have picked a better time especially without the media's presence but as I also said I think it's because Williams is feeling the threat of losing his job to Dez.

12. Agent Zero

I agree with this 100%. The timing was just awful.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Yep and unfortunately I honestly believe he did it on purpose in front of the media for one reason and that was to make Dez look bad.

14. Agent Zero

I would like to know how you know that? I don't recall any camera's being allowed during training camp back in those days.(I am mid 30's and watched football a lot back then too) And also, Roy has said a few times (check the Cowboys website/videos) saying he is helping all the rookies esp. Dez. And Dez even admitted that Roy was helping him with the plays and such. So I think your findings are unfounded dude.

I also remember Ray Lewis and Shannon Sharpe hazing Todd Heap. Just watch any "Hard Knocks" on HBO and you will see the hazing that goes on. It is more the norm than exception.

And guys/gal, don't take this as "defending Roy". I am just stating what I think. I used to be a huge Roy fan.. That has gone bye bye... :(

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Very possible.. I just hope you are not right.

15. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

ive hearing abput this all day here in the A...........

this wasnt done on the first day it was done yesterday i think first day saturday......and i heard that Roy asked to carry his pads and crap right after he got Boooed by the fans and Dez was cheered.............so Roy turns around and tells him to carry his crap..........IMO i think if it woulds been DWare/MBIII/Romo totally different story

16. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

This is such a little thing for him to do it's ludicrous to not even do it once. I mean really, he most likely will pass up Williams as the no 2 wr anyways so why not just do this and get it over with?

When I played high school golf as a freshman we had to clean all of the upper classmen's clubs and crap like that. When I got to be a junior I didn't clean my clubs or stock my bag with crap for two years.

17. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Wow, you guys are soft...

You know what would have been a great story, Roy try's to show up Dez in front of the media and Dez takes it like a man.

18. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i rmeber getting hazed by older cousins when i made the football team in school and the coaches pretty flooded the feilds on purpose and the pretty much drug us through there and tied us the a goal post.......

IMO the he should just done it it would taken him minutes and be done with it...........but in way it a bit douchy coming from RW after he gets booed and DB gets cheered

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Did you ever hear about Jerry Rice or Tim Brown hazing a fellow WR? If you did, I stand corrected. But I sure did hear a lot how Brown and Rice helped the younger guys...especially when they were together with the Raiders (Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry...)

I bet Dez really respects what Roy has to say after putting up with his crap. Leave the hazing to the young players. Roy's a 5-6 year veteran...he's got enough to worry about than some rook carrying his pads.

Bottom line imo is that Roy shouldn't be wasting his time with this bullcrap. That should be out of his system by now. He should be worrying about helping this team and worried about keeping his starting job. Dez should be taking it in the butt from the likes of Isiah Stanback and Sam Hurd...lol...and be happy about it. He's in the freaking NFL and that's part of being a rookie.

20. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Can't believe how much Dez the anointed one has been defended. Guess I'm just biased or something... *shrug*

For the record, this is the start of his 8th year.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010