Death To The Full Page Ads (For Now)

Discussion in 'Site News' started by brakos82, Apr 5, 2009.

1. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

So I'm not going completely crazy sitting at the index page waiting 20 seconds for the ad to show up and nothing happening...

2. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Hey....the Tyson ad is a good thing. Use this kinda stuff at work and....eat plenty watching games

3. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

I strongly applaud this move. Google ads are the industry norm and people don't seem to find them obtrusive. Whenever I've tried turning people onto GIF the #1 piece of feedback I received was about the full page ads. I understand they were necessary to pay the bills but they also scared a lot more potential hits to the site away. GIF is being sourced in newspapers now. Eyes are looking this way. Let's look our best. This move should help us do that and hopefully elevate the sites growth tremendously.

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Agreed and we members can click on the ads....simple.

5. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

I love the switch. The full page add was annoying, and it sometimes would not let you return to the site, and it had a lot of pop-ups

6. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Thank you.

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

But it did help pay the bills...<just saying>

8. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Looks like the full-page ads will have to be making a comeback to GIF. Too bad...I really enjoyed not having them here but it seems to be the only consistent revenue the site can produce and we will be needing that revenue with the new server costs.

9. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

son of a snitch.
    that news rains on our new server news

10. SRW

Yeah it's too bad. Don't know what else to do though...

11. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

nothing else you can do
    i'm as guilty as the rest for not clicking as much as i should
    I dont mind the full page ads thou
    never once bothered me

12. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I've been trying to remember to click on them.

I still plan on contributing regularly to the site.

If it's not too much to ask could you PM me the amount the full page ads bring in monthly Steve?

13. SRW

It's not that they bring in a big amount of money, it's that they are a consistent stream of revenue because they will display once every six hours. For now the plan is to incorporate them on the front page only to begin with and then see where it goes from there. The Google ads will remain as well.

14. hermhater

hermhater Guest

That's cool.

I'm just saying I feel pretty comfortable here at GIF and would like to help make it grow, and support the staff.

You guys do an awesome job, thanks again guys.

15. SRW

I will be looking to install a modification that will allow donors to view the site ad-free. It could be something that is subscription-based. I am still looking into that option nad how it would actually work.

16. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm not really contributing to get rid of the ads, so that mod doesn't mean much to me.

Just seems like visitors that don't see a full screen ad would be more likely to stick around.

I know crap about marketing though, and you do a great job with the site so I could be totally wrong.

Not being a rod, just sharing my thoughts dude!

:cheersbeer:

17. SRW

I'd love to not have the full page ads, believe me. Problem is the new ads have nosedived after the initial announcement. Seems like the only way to consistently earn revenue is to make people see an ad once every six hours. It sucks but the site is going to need a consistent stream of revenue. We need to cover server costs and also any custom work to improve the site. All the revenue earned by the site goes into a "war chest" that goes back to the site.

18. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Yeah consistency is the key to staying afloat.

I got no problem with them going up.

Are you gonna put the ads up after the migration or before?

19. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

welcome back full page ads
    you're an evil we must deal with.

20. SRW

Let me put it this way HH....if every VIP member here donated one dollar a month....we would not be having this conversation.

If each registered member who visited each day visited just one of our sponsors each day....we would not be having this conversation.

The reality though is that the ads now only rake money in when they are clicked. Outside of those crazy days where we have a huge spike in traffic the reality is that the support simply is not there. The only way it seems to work consistently is to force those annoying full-page ads.