Do We Know Now What Matthew Stafford Is?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by CaptainStubing, Jan 6, 2012.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Well, he finally did it. He made it through an entire season staying relatively healthy and started all 16 games.

I have to admit, I didn't think he could do it. I had pretty much decided the dude's bones were made of styrofoam.

Most of us felt that the Lions would be competitive if Stafford could just stay on the field, and, sure enough, they were. With Stafford under center every week in 2011, we saw more consistent offensive production from the Lions than we've seen in many years, including some fairly impressive comeback wins that required strong quarterbacking. And, along the way, Stafford put up some sick numbers, finishing in the top 5 in the league in almost all of the 'respected' passing categories.

So, now that we have a larger body of work to look at, the question now becomes: What exactly do we have in Matt Stafford?

He still takes a few too many sacks. However, the Lions don't really have a running game so defenders are just teeing off most of the time.

He does have Megatron, the best WR in the game. However, he doesn't really have a ton of weapons beyond that.

I was somewhat surprised when I looked this up, but Stafford is only 23 years old. So, assuming Stafford can stay relatively healthy the rest of his career, what should we expect to see from him?

Is he the next superstar QB in this league, lining up with Aaron Rodgers to take the place of Brady and Manning as they near retirement?

Or, is he the next Tony Romo or Philip Rivers ...... someone that we feel is a 'good' quarterback but has a few flaws in his game that keep him from attaining greatness?

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I can take any QB to build a team around right now, it would be Stafford

Guy is just a winner

3. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I definitely would take him over Romo and Rivers. I think he's a part of the next crop of elite QBs.

4. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

He's a great QB, I kinda knew it from whatever games he played in before he had gotten injured. Thing I always said is that he needs to be able to stay healthy.

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It's okay to like the guy, but come on now.

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

My FF championship team says Stafford is a great QB. He needs to changes some things but with upgrades along the offensive line and his HBs getting healthy he should become even better at what he can do with Megatron

7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Stafford is a good qb that has a chance to be a very good if not great qb. Just hope he can stay relatively healthy during his career. I think the Lions have their qb for years to come.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Same can be said?

[​IMG]

9. Steve12

That is a comparison you just cannot make.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Winner am a "winner"...lol.

11. Steve12

Tebow wins because teams haven't caught up to his gimmick yet. Stafford wins because he's a good QB that can actually throw a football.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I know...lol.

13. Jihad Joe

Who would you take over Stafford

3 Combacks this season down by 17 or more points

14. Buck Fenson

maybe charlie sheen can help

15. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Rodgers, Breesus, Brady. I personally might still take Vick before him but my faith in Vick is dwindling.

Phillip Rivers. And you could probably make a case for Big Ben too.

16. Jihad Joe

To build a team around.....

Im not talk about for the short

Lol @Vick

17. Buck Fenson

he would be a good pick to build a team around. Just got to get a huge Oline to keep him healthy.

18. Steve12

Lol @ Vick over Stafford. Come on now.

19. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

good point. stafford might be the best pick for the youngest QB to build around, but he could kill an organization if he couldn't stay on the field.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Kind of agree with JJ here. Today? Starting from nothing? Brees, Rodgers, Ben and then I'd go with a QB like Stafford, Ryan, Rivers. I wouldn't take him over a few, but he's on the short list.

Vick is not even in the conversation. Not even close.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012