Do We Know Now What Matthew Stafford Is?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by CaptainStubing, Jan 6, 2012.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, if you were building a team, you probably wouldn't want 30+ year old QB's, right? so, that would eliminate brees and rodgers. Rodgers just turned 28. Stafford is 23.

If you wanted to have your franchise QB in place for 10+ years when you build your team, Stafford would be the only choice, right?

Now, to win ONE game right now then we can throw Brady and Manning back into the conversation and Stafford once again falls way down the list.

But, as far as building a franchise, it would be hard not to choose Stafford because of his age, as long as you're confident he can now stay healthy.

2. Stafford is and always has been a damn good QB.

The injuries were just freak. He was never hurt in college.

I've always felt he was an elite young QB, the question is can he translate that to continued success. I think he can and he will be somewhere near the top.

3. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I think the Oline and the good running game he had in Georgia helped with being injury free. But in the pros everyone is big, fast and can hit. I'd take him and this is coming from an LSU fan. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone ok?

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

You aren't counting the game where his defense had two pick 6s are you?

If you would build your team around Stafford over Aaron Rodgers, you're absolutely nuts.

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I would say the same thing about Brees...doesn't matter how old Brees is. He can get you Rings now.

6. Buck Fenson

But if you want a young qb to grow with, HELL YEAH. Very impressed with Stafford.

7. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The age factor would play in my decision as well. Stafford brings the tools to the table to win with.

8. Buck Fenson

Look, I am biased. I would take Brees over anyone in this league. But if I am a new coach and want to start over, Stafford would be my qb if I am looking long term. But saying that I see Brees maintaining this level of excellence for 5-6 more years.

9. Dragonite

Exactly 5 or 6 more years of a proven championship winner. Thats the QB I want on my team. The current Passing Yards record holder. The guy with the most ridiculous Completion Percentage every year.

No offense to Stafford, but Brees and Rodgers are easily better choices.

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I can grow plenty with a 28 year old QB.

11. Buck Fenson

True. Can't really argue with any of them.

12. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Rodgers is great and had a great year, but look at who he has to throw to. Stafford passed for 5k, 40 TD's with Megatron/Pettigrew and nothing but JAGS and is only 23

Nate freaking Burlson is a starting Lions WR lol

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Oh come on... who the hell was Jordy Nelson before this season? Donald Driver? Jennings is legit, Jones is a speedster, and Finley is a tank but they were all made significantly better when Rodgers became a badbutt.

At the beginning of this season, you and any other person would have picked Burleson over Jordy Nelson.

14. Dragonite

Lance Moore couldn't even make the Browns roster, Drew Brees sure made him a star...

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

stafford is a stud. period.

16. Dragonite

Sure he is but hes not the best QB in the league, or the best QB to start your franchise with, hes in the top 5 though.

17. Buck Fenson

that's why they have chocolate, vanilla, and tutti fruit. Like I said earlier, I would take Brees over anyone. Rodgers is a great choice also. That is no doubt. But among the young qb with 3 years or less starting experience I would take Stafford. Dude is right on the money. Now saying all this lets temper this gushing with the realization of the current rules. It makes most qbs seem better than maybe they really are. Would they be as effective if defenses could actually play defense without incurring personal foul or pass interference for being in the same area code as the receivers and quarterbacks? There are, in my opinion, very few that would be able, if it was possible, to go back and play in a different era. There are some qbs that could play in any era and there are some that are direct benefactors of the modern rules. And I would have to see more of Staffords' work to make that determination. But since there is no time machine or flux capacitor we have to go with what is real and he is one of the best options for a new coach that wants to hitch his wagon to a horse and ride it for 10+ years.

18. cKlass

cKlass Rookie

In reference to those come back wins, they were all to teams with losing records. They should of never been down in the first place. As far as building a team and needing/wanting a young QB I agree. I would probably take him.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i wish vick was 1/2 the QB stafford is.

20. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

to me, a sign of a good qb is one that makes superstars out of nobody's and stafford is making a lot of receivers on the lions roster look a lot better than they actually are ...................

and lest we forget, the lions have absolutely NO freaking running game, so defenses are teeing off on Stafford and playing a lot of pass coverages since they're not worried about the run and stafford is STILL torching them.