Dr. James Andrews Worried About Redskins QB Robert Griffin III's Knee

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Sweets, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Dr. James Andrews, the well known orthopedic surgeon is worried about the knee of Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III ever since he injured it on December 9th against the Ravens, Robert Klemko of USA Today reports.

"I'm the one that shut him down that day, finally," Andrews said. "I've been a nervous wreck letting him come back as quick as he has. He's doing a lot better this week, but he's still recovering and I'm holding my breath because of it.

"He passed all the tests and all the functional things we do, but it's been a trying moment for me, to be honest with you."

There appears to be a difference of opinion on the way the Redskins handled the injury, Shanahan said he let Griffin return with the blessing of James Andrews, the renowned orthopedic surgeon, who was on the sideline.

Andrews, however, said on Saturday that he never cleared Griffin to go back into the game, because he never even examined him.

"He didn't even let us look at him," Andrews said. "He came off the field, walked through the sidelines, circled back through the players, and took off back to the field. It wasn't our opinion.

"We didn't even get to touch him or talk to him. Scared the hell out of me."

Yet when asked by reporters, Shanahan described a conversation with Andrews this way:

"He's on the sidelines with Dr. Andrews. He had a chance to look at him and he said he could go back in," Shanahan said Dec. 10. "(I said) 'Hey, Dr. Andrews, can Robert go back in?'

'Yeah, he can go back in.'

'Robert, go back in.'

"That was it," Shanahan said.

Only that's not the way it happened, Andrews said. What's more, Andrews remains worried about Griffin's health as the Redskins play the Seattle Seahawks in an NFC wild card game at FedEx Field today.

The risky behavior and apparent cover-up regarding Griffin's knee injury is even more curious when Andrews described the team's responsibility toward the rookie quarterback — "to make sure he's OK for the next 15 years," Andrews said. "That's what you have to watch out for for players, because they don't know."

Andrews added: "He's a competitor. He didn't want to let his team down."

Source: The Redzone

2. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

if this is true, that is scary. and he has no reason to lie, whereas shanahan does. i'm sure nothing will come of it because the NFL wants rg3 on the field, but it's crapty to think shanahan would do something like that if true.

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Whoa, not good. Wonder if the NFL is going to get a bug up their butt and make this the next crisis to go after?

4. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O3G6LCMfM&feature=ytfce]FOX NFL Sunday: RG3's Injury Issue? - YouTube[/ame]

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

This is actually something the NFL should look in to...which means they won't...

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Not until the lawsuits for knee injuries start rolling in.

7. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuvgVwNaWQ]Should Dr. James Andrews Have Spoken Out? - YouTube[/ame]

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Give it a few years,and it will happen!
    In my view,Griffin had a more serious problem than the team ever let on,and the dr,redskins,and rg3 let it go until he got more seriously injured!
    i'll never prove that,and i do not know if it is an actual fact,but i can see thee redskins doing that and if that really did happen,the coaches deserved to be punished as much as the saints coaches did for the bounty scandal.i think the team was convinced that rg3 could take the team to the superbowl,and they could fix it in the offseason,and they got hecked by it!

9. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

He's worried NOW? He should have been worried before RG3 took the field against the Seahawks, IMO.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

i would lean towards the fault being on shanny and the skins. dr andrews has zero vested interest in the skins doing good or bad so why would he lie ?

sounds like rg3 and the team didnt feel his injury was that serious and when it comes down to it it was this weekend's decision to kep him in the game that led to whatever level of tear(s) he has.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

From what it sounds like, he was...

12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Think this is all on shanny and the skins,unless dr andrews knew this was bogus from the start.and then rg3 shares a bit of it cause he could have always just said no cause it was his knee on the line.

13. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

really wondering if this injury is going to effect next year or he could pull a AP

14. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

ap went down in dc too

maybe its a curse of torn acls and quick recoveries

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

hardly any player will take themselves out of a game even if they are that injured. It is up to the coaches (who are trying to win a game and cover their asses) or the team doctor (who pays them) to determine if they can go back in. It is not like a head injury where years later you will be eating a bullet or something. The worst thing that can happen is you have a new knee. So, the line of logic is different here. Was they wrong if this turns out to be true? For realz. But how many other teams did the same thing? Oh wait, that sounds familiar. Diesel was right. They should be dealt with the same or worse than the Saints was dealt with cause it was their own players. But it won't happen. After a couple of weeks no one will remember this story until next season when he can't start the season.

16. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

You may not eat a bullet but dude if you heck up your knee bad enough, it can just be in constant throbbing pain like mine sometimes is which is why I have a scrip for marijuana.

17. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

my mom had both knees replaced twice. She had Rheumatoid Arthritis. That is a lot of pain. She smoked also to relieve the pain but she was in constant pain after a while. The knee replacements helped but it still hurt.

18. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I jacked mine up. Had surgery on it. Replaced ACl and it hurts very other day and probably need another surgery according to MRI I had about three weeks ago.

But yeah knee injuries suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I blame shanny he should kept him out. But remember this is the same coach that played Terrell Davis when he was temporarily blinded during a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

And that was a freaking head related injury. As if he's gonna give a heck if a knee hurts.