Draft picks, cookie monsters and the last great boxing match any of us will ever see

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by SportsChump, Apr 29, 2015.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I still fail to see how boxing "is dead" or "dying" when this fight could make close to a billion dollars, and as you said yourself: America (and I would add: "and most of the civilized world") will stop what they're doing to watch this fight.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

because it's the only fight in the last twenty years, Teej, that anyone has given a shirt about.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I disagree. While not this big, I have seen big fights in those 20 years. The only difference is that now even casual fans, or people who don't know sh!t about boxing will tune in.

For 20 years I have constantly read "boxing is dead" or "boxing is dying". Yet, once or twice a year there's a fight that keeps the business going. And now we have this fight that will shatter all audience records, and might generate close to a billion dollars...ohh!! and it has pretty much hijacked SportsCenter for this week at least. Not bad for a dead sport.

The only dead thing about boxing is the heavyweight title, at least in the US. It used to be "the biggest championship in sports". Funny how once Americans stopped winning it, it lost all relevance.

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Fair points, Teej.

Personally I didn't have a problem seeing either Lewis or Klitschko fight... but I would have liked to see them each have a rival. The heavyweight has become irrelevant regardless of what country's boxer holds the title.

I suppose it's easy for a sport to survive when it rakes in hundreds of millions on two events a year but you can't deny that MMA's popularity has increased while boxing's has plummeted.

We still care about boxing. We just want a reason to care. I'm not so sure the institution has done much to keep us coming back.

Re: Mayweather/Pacquiao, keep in mind, while this fight is big, they could have been on their third fight by now.

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I have tried, but I just don't like MMA. It bores the hell out of me, especially when both fighters go the floor and fight there, which happens in pretty much every fight I have watched.

You're right. Boxing promoters treat fans like crap. They overcharge for everything!! This PPV will be $100. And yet, people keep paying, and people keep coming back. As long as they keep making tons of money, they won't care at all. I think it's the fans' fault. Personally, I'll watch movies on saturday, I'll stay away from the internet and social media, and wait for the tape delay of the fight around midnight in my country. It's the only way to watch these fights around here, unless you pay the $100, of course.

Totally agree with your last line. This fight should've happened six years ago.

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I'd watch this fight, even pay to see it. Not sure I'd pay a c-note but I'd certainly contribute funds to someone who was having a house party.

Unfortunately I have to work Saturday night so I'm gonna miss it, which is a shame.

I'd like to say there are some worthwhile fights coming up over the horizon but I don't see it.

I guess my main point is the sport could have done a better job of managing itself over the years instead of every man for himself.

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I'd have to agree with Chump on this one. What other fight in the last 10-20 years has drawn this must commercial support along with fan enthusiam? The U.S. in a way is very biased in what it would rather watch. Unlike Mexico, American boxing fans want to see not only good to great heavyweight fighters, they want to see great heavyweight characters as well. As far back as I can remember when one thinks about Mexican boxing the lighter divisions have always been marquise....and rightfully so.

9. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i'll download it from extra torrent or pirate bay and watch it. i hope mayweather gets his ass beat big time. I saw almost all of ali's major fights,mayweather is not good enough to be sweat off his ball sack,no matter how highly he thinks of himself.

markaz likes this.
  10. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Any predictions, fellas?

11. markaz

Mayweather by KO, but I hope Packee-Owww kicks Mayweather's ass.

Should Mayweather win it will set the stage for him becoming a "free agent" and cutting any deal he so chooses in anticipation of his 50-0 fight. Just guessing that little turd will sign a deal for that fight that will make $500,000,000.00 for 1 fight.

12. markaz

I watched Ali fight when he was Cassius Clay. As they say...The Greatest.

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Prediction? A controversial decision for Mayweather. The rematch will be announced on monday for september.

Floyd will pocket 200 more million.

I would love to see Pacman win by KO. Highly unlikely, though...

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

me too. best fighter i ever saw.would have loved to see him and tyson fight when both were at the top of their games.

15. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Anyone having a house party for the fight?