ESPN Writer Fired/Anchor Suspended After Lin Remarks

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by CaptainStubing, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Suspended ESPN Anchor Defends Himself For Jeremy Lin Gaffe | Radar Online

2. CaptainStubing

wtf were these guys thinking? 'Chink in the Armor' ?

Seriously? :wtf1:

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Thats not exactly an uncommon phrase...

4. CaptainStubing

it's not an uncommon phrase but it was not the right phrase/situation in our p.c. society. Writers and t.v. anchors have to watch their words more carefully than this or they can offend millions.

5. Dragonite

Getting offended over this phrase is stupid, the phrase isn't even racial in any way.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

"Tapping a f*g" is also a common term in many parts of the British world for smoking a cigarette, but I dont think any news agency would be goobered enough to use it in reference to Lance Bass lighting up a Marlboro. There's no way you can tell me these guys at ESPN were so naive and sheltered that they thought that using the term CHINK in any context when referring to a person of Asian descent wouldnt be taken exactly as it was.

7. CaptainStubing

so, if you were a player and had a bad game against a guy with the last name of 'Polly' and the anchor or writer said something using the 'common' phrase 'Polly wants a Cracker', you don't think that would be a 'racial' inuendo?

The original phrase isn't racial, so you can't be offended, right?

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nobody would have any issue if CNN started referring to the Obamas as the "King and Queen of Spades", right? I mean, its just an innocuous term referring to a deck of cards, people use it every day at the poker table. It would be stupid of anyone to have a problem with that.

9. Dragonite

Actually if it was a BRITISH news organization I would be more offended if they didn't use the phrase because of my sexual preference.

Of course I think the things most americans find offensive are pathetic and stupid, like most people in general are.

10. Dragonite

Theres a differnce between making up headlines to be insensitive and writing a headline that makes sense with the situation and using it.

This could have been used for ANY basketball player who had a bad game, its pathetic to get offended by it.

11. CaptainStubing

well, it is possible that these guys didn't even think of the conatation, but that still doesn't excuse their transgressions because when you are in that spotlight, you have to be more careful about what you say and when you say it or you will offend people.

whether or not we think society is too sensitive is not the point. When you sign up to reach millions of people with your written or spoken word, you accept the ground rules of current society and these guys both hecked up royally.

12. Dragonite

Its a stupid thing to get offended over, hell even Jeremy Lin said it didn't bother him so why should it bother anyone else?

13. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

If you saw it on the mobile website when it was up and you got offended, fine. that's understandable. If , days later, you are purposefully clicking on headlines like "ESPN uses offensive slur in headline about Jeremy Lin" and you get offended, you might be part of that "dying to get offended crowd" and you can eat a rod.

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Whilst true, you just can't let that one slide. Even if the guy originally wrote it without thinking about it, you can't proofread that line and not catch that word.

15. Dragonite

I personally get more offended when people CHANGE THINGS because of me. Thats just me I guess. Lin did have a chink in the armor, 9 turnovers is pathetic.

16. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Tried to slip one past & got busted...

What a major story. :icon_smile:

17. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Agree completely and I completely understand the cub writer (Anthony Federico) getting canned, but for Max Bretos to get 30 days, I don't know.
    Do we know how the set on ESPN works? Who does the proofreading and decides what goes on the teleprompter? Are the anchors free to say whatever they want without being proofed? What's ESPN's policy about what stories make it on the air? Responsibilities of the anchor?
    It is an insensitive remark, no....it's stupid, but Bretos wasn't creating the headline or giving an opinion, he was just reporting what occurred. Hypothetically, had a story contained the word 'N_gg_r', the anchor undoubtedly would have to say "the N word" when on the air. So what was Bretos supposed to say if the story was handed to him? "Rhymes with Pink in the armor"? I just don't want to pass judgment on Bretos given he's married to an Asian woman and knows too well the ramifications of saying something like that. [​IMG]

Just guessing David Stern or someone in the league office called ESPN at first chance and ESPN immediately skewered Bretos. Reminds me of Scot Van Pelt getting 30 days for his remarks about Selig.

Rant completed. :rant:

18. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

In a newsroom, like many other places, your value has to outweigh the negative attention something like this gets. Some people are worth the trouble, others aren't. This is clearly just a guy with a bad editorial sense who proved he doesn't have what it takes to do that job well. It's no question whether you get fired when you heck up on that level, even if you didn't set out to offend anyone.

Yep it could have. But it wasn't any basketball player, it was this Asian American sensation, and whether or not he intended it as one, it is a racial slur for Asian people. Case closed, poor taste, whether or not he realized it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. smeags

smeags militant geek

i didn't realize lin spoke for the entire asian population in this country and beyond.

if you're not part of the race that is involved how can you even fathom what they are thinking and in turn claim that being offended in the 1st place is stupid ?

is it stupid for native americans to be offended by the washington redskins ?

20. Dragonite

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? The article wasn't about the entire Asian populace it was about JEREMY LIN and he said it wasn't offensive so the rest of the god **mn populace needs to stop freaking out about it.

EVERYONE making a big deal about this is just so freaking stupid, good god Americans are always looking for a story where there is not, getting offended over the stupidest crap. I love how more WHITE people are snitching about this than Asians, I am friends with plenty of Asians, the people making the biggest stir about this are white people its freaking pathetic. Even my asian friends have told me this isnt a story. I can't believe this god **mn.

/endrant/:hb1: