ESPN Writer Fired/Anchor Suspended After Lin Remarks

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by CaptainStubing, Feb 21, 2012.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

that makes zero sense. by that logic if there's a slur tossed out, regardless of the intent, about a black player, only the player should be offended ? really ? that's what you think ?

so, you know for a fact that it's mostly white people snitching about this ? have a link to some proof of that or are you simply going by your circle of friends ?

answer my question on the redskins too.

oh and if it's such a non story to you why do you continue to add to it ? :dunno:

2. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

This wasn't a racial slur, the term is used regularly, god knows how many times its been a sports headline.

I am going by everything I have read on this. It's all white people. Everywhere. I'm sure maybe a group of Asians got offended by it and said something but now, I haven't seen a single Asian on any of these sports shows, any of these newspaper articles, any of these sites, around campus, ANYWHERE. Its all WHITE PEOPLE talking about it. PA-FREAKING-THETIC.

Honestly, that crap has pissed me off for years. Getting pissed off about the Indians, the Redskins, ect. I honestly don't understand it. Thats been their name, their logo and crap for years why is it brought up now. Jesus christ might as well change the Celtics too that logo is totally racist against Leprechauns right? It's like changing the bullets name because it was "violent" good lord people calm the heck down.

3. Dragonite

the funny thing is if something racist is written about a white person nobody notices or gives a heck ever...

4. Dragonite

Also this defense people always use is annoying as heck. I am commenting on it because this is a sports forum and it is my opinion...

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

You're completely wrong about Lin being the only person who is allowed to take offense to this, that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard all day. And youre probably not strengthening you're argument with the whole "woe is me for being a white male" routine.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

wow, you just don't get it. but hey you have asian friends so you probably know better.

again facts arent part of your counter. truth be told the native americans have tried to fight the redkins name for years. the term redskins is no different than ni***r or spic or gook but native americans are so far down the ladder as far as minorities go it doesnt matter to anyone. but i guess you know how they should feel too right ? being a white guy and all.

not sure why you brought up the bullets as that has zero to do with this conversation but whatever.

7. Dragonite

It has everything to do with this conversation. Some group got upset over the name and demanded it be changed and so it was. These have been names for years they don't need to be changed. But whatever, I see I am in the minority here. I didn't do a woe is me I'm a white guy schtick, I just stated a fact, if some black anchor said something in headline about a white guy ending in cracka nobody would give a damn.

Thats a fact.

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

That's not a fact at all and you clearly don't know the word's meaning. You suggested a hypothetical situation and an outcome based on your experience, world view, whatever you want to call it. There is nothing factual about what you said, it is complete conjecture and I'm not sure what you're missing about that.

9. Dragonite

I'm not sure what you're missing. The person it was written about didn't care. So get THE FREAK OVER IT!

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

After reading through the thread, I think that you are the one that is missing the point here and I don't mean that in an attacking kind of way...either you're missing the point or just looking at this situation with blinders on.

11. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

What native americans? They're all dead [for the most part].

I find it stupid. I have all types of different nationalities in my family. White, black, korean, mexican, and a boat load more up north. I Think it's being blown way out of proportion and it's not that big of a deal. Have you seen any foreign people pissed off about this? I've not.

Someone making this a race thing, Floyd Mayweather. All of this is stupid.

Back to the Native American offended by the Redskins, I to find this stupid. I grew up learning how the Cowboys and Indians hated each other. On the football field, it's portrayed in the same way.

Too much is made out of so less that it's simply ridiculous.

It's just a bunch of politically correct pussies grabbing at straws.
    Jeremy Lin wasn't offended by it, didn't think it was negative at all. The guy who writes it, is a huge knicks fan, and has used the phrase "Chink In The Armor" multiple times throughout the years. But he uses it one time and there's an Asian involved, it's racist!

[​IMG]

12. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

Hmm, so a phrase thats been around since mid-evil times is racist? it was the right saying. Lin turned the ball over many times. It showed his weakness is ball handling. The other team attacked it and they won. Too many sensitive snitches. I believe this guy should sue the crap out of them. If the saying in the past fit, You must acquit. Hand this guy millions:icon_rolleyes:

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

c'mon now, that's stretch and you know it. one was about people forming an opinion on a situation while totally ignoring the facts and blindly seeing as they please. (sounds familiar).

so now you're a minority are you ? well, it's seems you're kind of frustrated because in your eyes, the majority is coming down on you and just brushing your beliefs off with little consideration. maybe, the real problem is, you're just being too sensitive.

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

you sound well educated on them. i guess any opinions you have on native americans will be quite validated by your vast knowledge on the subject.

see above. i rest my case.

i am curious though, what race are you ? what's the racial slur for your race ? would you laugh it off if there was a professional sports team with that very term as their moniker ? i guess you would right ? because you wouldnt be an over sensitive pc baby would you ?

15. Dragonite

I said I was in the minority in this instance. My opinion. I could care less if the majority is coming down on me, but I will make my voice heard.

16. Dragonite

Exactly, this whole topic is being blown WAY out of proportion and why? Because the saying dared to have the word CHINK which has multiple meanings.... :icon_rolleyes:

17. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I understand your disagreement. I'm not blaming you for arguing in support of the way you perceive this situation, but I'm honestly blown away that you can't understand why this was handled the way it was.

News writers and editors use puns and phrases with multiple meanings to create attractive headlines. At worst, this is a pun on racism. And in the very best case scenario, this guy failed to realize the phrase he'd used so many times could also be used as a racial slur against Chinese or other types of Asian Americans. As someone in the same field I can tell you the guy displayed obvious lack of news value and judgment when deciding to use the headline. His best defense is being ignorant of the multiple meanings, making him someone I wouldn't want on my news staff, hence his firing. How exactly is he valuable as an employee after freaking up like that?

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

you don't see the irony i was pointing out ?

19. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

"Of all the news that has come out about Lin's former life — and there hasn't been much — none excited me as much as a screenshot from his Xanga. In a series of captioned photos, a 15-year-old Lin wears a headband in the style of different NBA stars. It's a funny, endearing look into Lin's childhood and hints at a sense of humor that has mostly been absent from his media obligations. But none of the photos or the captions is as telling as the Xanga account's name: ChiNkBaLLa88."

Good read about growing up asian and being stuck in between white and black culture and not being accepted by either.

The headline, the tweet, and the unfair significance of Jeremy Lin - Grantland

20. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member